Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Hi everyone,
It's been so long since I blogged! It wasn't that I was in a slump exactly--it was just pure laziness. 🙈

But, I felt an urge to blog today so I thought I'd list some of the bookish things I did this summer.

1. I went to New York!
A view of Downtown Manhattan from Jersey City
Okay, not entirely bookish, but I did take a bunch of bookish pics. Basically, I brought a book with me everywhere I went and took pictures of different sites with it like the picture above. You can see more of my pictures on my YA Instagram account.

2. I finally started reading the ACOTAR series.
A very tiny portion of my ACOTAR series merch collection
Okay, say what you want about this series and its fandom, but holy cow does it have some of the best merch out there. I was buying the merch even before I picked it up. And then once I started reading it, I wanted even more merch. (If you're curious, I rated ACOTAR 3 stars--pretty good start to the series--and I am at the last quarter of ACOMAF, but had to put it down for a while because other books were calling my name.)

3. I defaced a book!
Only my second mandala ever (the first being my practice one) + some of my favorite quotes from TWatD
I came across book defacing videos on YouTube and they looked super fun so I decided to try it out myself. I was especially intrigued by this Youtuber's art where she created these gorgeous mandalas for her books so I thought I'd do the same. I can't draw to save my life so a mandala was the way to go. I ended up defacing one of my all-time favorite books, The Wrath and the Dawn. (Haha, check out my Feysand pouch!)

4. I became obsessed with Giant Days.
The summer of 2017 will be forever associated with Giant Days
I'm fairly new to the adult graphic novel scene. I've read quite a bit of middle grade graphic novels because it's what my students (I'm a school librarian) love to read most and I wanted to have conversations with them about their favorite books, but when it comes to adult graphic novels I mostly just stuck to Saga. That is until I discovered Giant Days and I fell head over heels in love with Esther, Susan, and Daisy. I've read and reread Vols. 1-5 countless times this summer and I'm rabidly anticipating Vol. 6, which won't be out until Oct. 24th 😭

5. I read my first "dubcon" (aka dubious consent) erotica.
This book is not for the faint of heart
If you had a chance to read my review of Torrid by Nikki Sloane I mentioned that I was reading Sordid, which was actually set prior to Torrid and was about the older brother of the male main character in Torrid. Man, I thought Torrid was dark but it was tame compared to Sordid. I've never wanted to take a shower more while reading a book than I did while reading Sordid. 😖😖 It was like a bad car crash--I couldn't look away, or in this case, I couldn't put the damn book down no matter how disgusted I felt. I can't even really rate it, and afterwards Sordid put me in the biggest romance book slump. Like, I didn't want to pick up a romance (even the fluffy, romcom ones) for a long while after. I was so disturbed.

****

In a nutshell, summer 2017 for me was basically New York/ACOTAR/Giant Days/book defacement. The Sordid episode was the dark stain that I try to forget. I did eventually got my romance reading mojo back, and who knows I might even pick up another dark romance in the near future. Maybe not a dubcon book, though. I don't think they're my kind of kink.

Hopefully, I'll be posting more often from now on. And not just the mandatory posts for blog tours and review books, but also random ones like this. 

Happy reading,
Michelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.