Monday, May 1, 2017

Publisher: First Second
Release Date: May 2, 2017 (tomorrow!)
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: The Spill Zone #1
Synopsis
Nobody's ever really explained the Spill. Was it an angelic visitation? A nanotech accident? A porthole opening from another world? Whatever it was, no one's allowed in the Spill Zone these days except government scientists and hazmat teams. But a few intrepid explorers know how to sneak through the patrols and steer clear of the dangers inside the Zone. Addison Merrick is one such explorer, dedicated to finding out what happened that night, and to unraveling the events that took her parents and left her little sister mute and disconnected from the world.


I first heard of The Spill Zone a last year and it immediately intrigued me. After reading it, I have to say that it's a new favorite and I'm officially OBSESSED. I want more and I'll be counting down the days until I can get my hands on the next book in the series.
Beside the synopsis from the hardcover edition, I went into The Spill Zone relatively blind. The Spill Zone (formerly Poughkeepsie, New York) is kinda like Chernobyl dial way up, except no one knows what caused the Spill to happen. 

Actually, the synopsis above (that I got from Goodreads) is not 100% accurate. Addison Merrick does not go into the Spill Zone to find answers of what turned it from a normal town to one filled with unnatural and unearthly nightmares. After loosing her parents three years ago the night the Spill happened, Addie now lives at the edge of town near the border of the Spill Zone with her little sister Lexa. She earns money for them by sneaking into the Spill Zone on her motorcycle to take pictures and then selling them to collectors. She has really strict rules for herself in order to come out of the Spill alive. But, when an eccentric collector offers her a million dollars to retrieve an object from the Spill Zone she found herself breaking her own rules and venturing deeper into Spill Zone than she's ever had.

I love everything about The Spill Zone. The story and the characters quickly grabbed me. I love that the story started off as a relatively simple one of a girl sneaking off into a restricted area to take pictures to sell for cash, and then it became more multifaceted story as other characters get introduced and the storyline opens up and gets more complicated and tangled in a very intriguing and gripping way. By the end of the book, I was left with more questions than answers in a very good way. The story can really can go into any directions and I am so very eager to see where the author takes it.

I really enjoyed Addison's character--she's badass, tough, and no-nonsense. At first glance she's a typical tough girl character--very Katniss-esque trying to take care of her little sister and earn money for them. Then, we have her little sister Lexa and her mysterious doll both of which were in the city the night the Spill happened and barely escaped--we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with these two. We also learn that there's a second Spill in a different country and the characters connected with that come looking for Addison and the mystery gets bigger. I don't want to say too much about the plot and characters. I think it is best to go into the story as blind and to discover it yourself. 

I'm new to graphic novels so I can't get too technical, but I have to say that the story, the art and the color palette really compliments the story very well. We get a lot of greens and blues and oranges, especially when we're in the Spill Zone which emphasized the sickly wrongness of the town. Also, there's a simplicity yet grittiness to the art that matches the story well. Text is relatively minimal too--there were scenes that are text heavier than others but there were also with many instances where the reader relies on the art to understand the scene, the story, and the action, which I really like. I'm not a fan of text-heavy graphic novels and I thought the art to text ratio in The Spill Zone is perfectly done.

Like I mentioned at the start of my review, The Spill Zone is a new favorite of mine and safe to say one of my top favorite graphic novel reads this year. I have so many questions and I am DYING to see where the author and artists are going to take the story next. The Spill Zone is a fantastic start to a very intriguing and the start of what will become a very epic series--I mean, we barely cracked the surface of the story which makes everything very exciting. I highly recommend you pick it up and get obsessed like I have--you won't be disappointed!
Amazon | KindleB&N | Book Depository

**Psst, you can read The Spill Zone (basically the entire book) by visiting the official website. You're welcome!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.