Undeclared by Julianna Keyes | Review

E-book: 300 pages
Publisher: self-pubbed
Release Date: February 27, 2017
Source of my copy: Netgalley
Series: Burnham College #2
Synopsis
Kellan McVey is Burnham College’s most prolific athlete, partier, and ladies’ man—and that’s just how he likes it. Returning to reign for his third year, he wants nothing to change. Then Andrea Walsh shows up.

It wasn’t too long ago that Andi and Kellan were lifelong friends, mortal enemies, and, for one hot summer, more. Then Kellan left and Andi stayed behind.

Kellan thought he’d moved past that last summer’s heartbreak, but with Andi sitting next to him in class, befriending his friends, and battling for the same once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity, he’s starting to remember why he hated her…and why he loved her.

Kellan has a long list of reasons that falling for Andi again is a terrible idea, though every new moment together challenges that theory. But Andi’s all too familiar with Kellan’s love ’em and leave ’em approach—and she’s found someone else to get serious about.

Burnham’s campus king has never had to fight for a girl, but if he wants Andi to give him another chance, he’ll have to do the one thing he’s never had the nerve to do: admit it.



One of my favorite reads of 2016 was Undecided, the first book in Julianna Keye's Burnham College series. When I found out there's going to be a companion novel, I happy danced because I loved the Burnham College gang so much and I wasn't ready to say good bye. When the release date for Undeclared was finally announced my excitement heightened. Then, I got a little nervous because I started hearing that Undeclared was not as good as Undecided

I avoided all reviews though, because I wanted to form my own opinions about the book and I'm so glad I did because after reading Undeclared, I found I loved it as much as I did Undecided. However, even though I loved it, I do recognize that Undeclared not as solid as Undecided.
I'm going to start by saying that if you into this expecting Kellan to be as swoon-worthy as Crosbie, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Actually, I think how much you'll enjoy this book will depend on how much you'll end up liking Kellan's character. Because ultimately he's not an easy character to like. I, for one, found him endearing despite his dense, idiotic ways. Despite all the mistakes he made (and he made plenty), and there were times I wanted to reach into the pages and shake him, I couldn't help but love him anyway. He's one of those lovable idiots. 

Kellan lived a charmed life. He has loving parents who supported him, he's athletic and handsome, he's popular and everyone likes him. Everything comes easy for him, he doesn't have to put much effort and things just kind of fall on his lap--it's just his sort of luck. But, at the same time, he doesn't let all his good luck go over his head, and he's a good guy at heart. However, he is a HUGE manwhore, having the longest list of hookups out of all the guys at the fictional ivy league Burnham College. Then, the gonorrhea incident happened, and it made him take stock of his choices and his manwhore ways. We saw him trying to step away from the college party scene and random hookups in Undecided

Undeclared starts with Kellan back home for the summer and he's about to go back to college (for his junior year) in a couple of days. He runs into Andrea (aka Andi), his next door neighbor, childhood best friend/enemy, and in the summer before his freshman year of college, they became something more. But, Andi ended up freezing Kellan out (for reasons unknown to him) a few days before he left for his freshman year of college. This was the first time he's spoken to Andi since that summer two years ago, and it's very awkward between them. 

Kellan leaves for college, but what Andi didn't tell him was that she's actually going to be attending Burnham too. In Undeclared we see Kellan fumbling his way into a sort of friendship with Andi, and working out his feelings for her. He makes a lot of mistakes, and there were times I felt so bad for Andi because she clearly has feelings for him (although she denies it too and tries to keep herself away from him). Although the story was told entirely in Kellan's POV, I very much felt connected to Andi's character because I saw a lot of myself in her. Kellan was constantly letting her down without even realizing it. But, I rooted for Kellan, despite his idiotic guy ways, to finally get it right and be that guy Andi deserves.

Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't think Undeclared is as solid as Undecided. The main plot of Kellan and Andi's road to happy ever after was great, but two of the secondary plot lines--the mystery campus vandals who trashed Kellan's apartment and the competition to win a sports segment with the local TV studio--felt contrived at times, were somewhat awkwardly concluded, and didn't really add anything to the main story line and felt more like fillers. However, they didn't really take away my enjoyment of Kellan and Andi's story. I also really like Ms. Keyes's writing style and humor. I laughed out loud several times--I love the running jokes throughout and the banter between Kellan and his friends. And speaking of Kellan's friends, if you read Undecided, you get to see the whole gang again: Crosbie and Nora, Marcela (who is hilarious!), Nate, and with the addition of Choo and Dane (Kellan and Crosbie's jock friends who seriously need their own book).

I know not everyone is going to enjoy Undeclared, but I personally LOVED it (as much as I did Undecided) despite its flaws. After I've finished reading the book, I did peek at a few reviews and there were some readers who absolutely loved Undecided like myself, but Undeclared did not work out for them. Undeclared happen to work out for me. If you do decide to pick it up, go into it without expectations and go into it knowing Kellan is not going to be like Crosbie. But, yeah, Undeclared is another FANTASTIC read by Ms. Keyes. I loved it and I can't wait to read more by her.

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.