2016 Reading Goals Wrap-Up + 2017 Bookish Goals

Hello everyone,
Yesterday, I shared my favorite and most disappointing reads of 2016. Today, I am going to blog about how I did in 2016 in terms of my reading goals and also my new reading goals of 2017.

I had seven bookish goals for 2016.

Goal #1: Read 96 books. (Goodreads Goal)
I read a total of 97 books in 2016.

Goal #2: Read at least 8 books every month.
I made this goal to help me accomplish goal #1. I didn't read 8 books every month--there were some months I read fewer than 8 and other months where I read more than 8 so it all balanced out in the end. But, technically, I didn't read 8 books per month.

Goal #3: Only buy up to 75 books in 2016. 
I bought a total of 102 books in 2016. BUT, I only bought 72 physical books and when I made this goal it was to control my buying of physical books because I really do not have room for them all even though I regularly purge my shelves every three months or so. This is a fail, but I'm still patting myself in the back a little because I did curve my book buying. [FYI, in 2015 I bought 148 books, and 195 books in 2014. Yikes!]

Goal #4: TBR Jar.
I completed my TBR Jar challenge! Here are the books I read for each topic:
A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't: Sisters by Raina Telgemeier
The first book in a new to you series: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
The next book in a series you are reading: The Skylighter by Becky Wallace
A middle grade book: Took by Mary Downing Hahn
A YA fantasy: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
A historical romance: The Lie and the Lady by Kate Noble
A YA contemporaryThe Fine Art of Pretending by Rachel Harris
A romance contemporary: Nobody But You by Jill Shalvis
An e-bookBig Rock by Lauren Blakely
Listen to an audiobook: 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
New adult book: Keepsake by Sarina Bowen
Read a book written by your favorite author: Idol (VIP #1) by Kristen Callihan

Goal #5: Visit at least 5 blogs a week and leave at least one comment per blog.
This was a HUGE fail. No excuses. I suck.

Goal #6: Keep connecting with the book blogging community.
While I sucked at visiting and commenting on blogs, I did a couple of buddy reads with a couple of really wonderful girls. I also got really close to a group of fabulous bookish ladies (who share my love of smutty reads) who I chat with almost everyday. I am so happy to have them in my life because they are basically my sisters in smut and pettiness and, of course, delicious tea. Ha!

Goal #7: Write everything down in a physical notebook.
This was another HUGE fail. I specifically bought a planner for 2016 to accomplish this goal and I got to mid-March before I stopped using it completely and reverted back to using Google Calendar and Sheets and Goodread to keep track of blog tour dates and books I read. It was so much easier and more convenient to use Google and Goodreads than carrying around a physical planner or notebook.

So, all in all, not a bad year!

*****

Now, onto my 2017 Bookish Goals.

I want to keep 2017 as stress free as possible in terms of reading and blogging. I think it's going to be a stressful enough year as it is with all the political turmoil going on. I don't want the two things that are supposed to be my fun hobbies to add to the stress.

So, for 2017 I have three bookish goals:

Goal #1: Read at least 50 books. This is also the number of books I put as my Goodreads goal--50 is a nice, low, stress-free number.

Goal #2: Buy less physical books. I bought 72 physical books in 2016 so that means I have to buy less than that in 2017. Notice I specifically said physical books? E-books are fair game. I have a feeling I'm going to reading A LOT more e-books in 2017 than in previous years thanks to my recently purchasing a Kindle Paperwhite.

Goal #3: Make blogging fun again. You might have noticed that I've been posting less and less in the last few years. To be honest I really fell out of love with book blogging in 2016--it just became another thing I have to do, not something I want to do. So, I'm hoping to recapture my love of blogging in 2017 (more on how I plan to do that in a later post).

Okay, three goals for 2017. Here we go...

Happy reading,
Michelle

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.