Celebrating Roald Dahl's 100th Birthday | 10 Reasons Why You Need to Read BOY: TALES OF CHILDHOOD


Hello everyone,
I am so excited to be part of the blog tour celebrating Roald Dahl's 100th birthday celebration. Roald Dahl's books were a huge part of my childhood so his books will always have a special place in my heart.

I think I've mentioned this on a previous post on this blog that English is not my first language. I was born in the Philippines and my family and I didn't move to Hawaii until I was nine years old. I understood English and was able to read in English very well, but I was very self-conscious about speaking in English. I was often made fun of for having an accent. So, I retreated by reading, and books became my safe place. This was when my love for reading grew and I couldn't read fast enough. I fell in love with fiction stories and until now still feel a very strong love for it that won't go away anytime soon.

Roald Dahl's books were some of the very first books I picked up during that time in my life. I don't remember which of his books I picked up first but I know I couldn't get enough of his books. They were magical, quirky and charming, and so very, very fun. My absolute favorites are Matilda, The BFG, and The Witches.

My task for the blog tour, which is put together by the wonderful peeps at Wunderkind PR, is to actually review his autobiography about his childhood called Boy. I am so thankful for the opportunity because somehow I missed reading Boy when I was a kid devouring his fiction books. I kept meaning to pick it up especially when an excerpt of it is read aloud in one of my all-time favorite movie You Got Mail, which I've watched a bajillion of times.

But instead of writing a typical review, I think it's better if I just tell you all 10 reasons why you should pick up Boy (if you haven't already).

1. Boy is just as magical, entertaining, fun, and readable as his fiction stories.

2. This is a must-read for Roald Dahl fans like myself. It was wonderful learning more about my favorite author and the people and experiences that influenced his life and works.

3. As I was reading, I would stop and be like, "okay, this person definitely inspired ___ character from ___ story" or "this experience clearly inspired him to write ___ story." It was fun trying to guess.

4. You can see how his childhood adventures shaped and influence his stories. You gain insight on where he got his idea for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

5. Boy tells of a much simpler time without the Internet and the technology we are so used to and heavily rely on today. It's nostalgic reading that way.

6. This book is very quotable. One of my favorites is: “We all have our moments of brilliance and glory, and this was mine.” [Which I hear all the time, whenever I watch my favorite movie You Got Mail, but it's still one of the best.]

7. I love the pictures and documents that were included. My favorite thing about biographies and autobiographies are the pictures and documents and would often flip through the book to look at them first (and I also did that here).

8. We also get a few illustrations by Quentin Blake peppered throughout and Blake's pictures just really go hand and hand with Roald Dahl.

9. It's a book for all ages. As a librarian, I think this book is a good one to use when doing a lesson on autobiographies. Younger readers may have questions, but it's a good class read or small group read with discussions on certain topics.

10. Okay, basically, Boy reads more like a Roald Dahl novel so even if you're not a fan of reading autobiographies/biographies/memoirs, you're going to enjoy this book.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.