Review: One Red Rose by Julie Garwood (e-book reissue)

E-book: 160 pages
Publisher: Pocket Star
Release Date: July 11, 2016 (reissued)
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Rose Hill #4
Synopsis
First introduced in Julie Garwood's magnificent New York Times bestseller For the Roses, the Clayborne brothers of Blue Belle, Montana, have been embraced by millions more through this trio of #1 bestselling novels. Now collected in one volume for the first time, these stories tell of three spirited brothers -- once a mismatched gang of street urchins -- who learn that love flourishes in the most unexpected places.... 


One Red Rose
Thoughtful Adam learns a powerful secret from the irrepressible Genevieve Delacroix -- that true freedom only comes when you trust your heart.


One Red Rose is my second favorite after One White Rose. This is Adam Clayborne's story. He came home to Rosehill on the night before Mama Rose's birthday party to a woman sleeping in his bed. It's Genevieve Delacroix and she said introduced herself as his bride, but later took it back because a man was actually after her and she didn't want to bring trouble to the Claybornes. She left during the middle of the party, but Adam went after her to help her. She's heading to Salt Lake because she didn't think the man after her would travel that far into the West to chase after her, and Adam decided to travel with her to keep her safe.

This was an entertaining read! I really enjoyed Adam's character and Genevieve was sweet and very trusting--at times too trusting. The girl had a bad man after her, and she wanted to stop and talk to every single person they meet on the road. Like Emily in One Pink Rose, Genevieve had a good heart and I get that she's a sweet girl with all the good intentions, but she just acted too young and naive that she sometimes comes off ditzy in a not so attractive way. I still liked her, but at times I wanted to reach in and shake some sense into her because no, Ezekiel Jones wouldn't give up that easily. She also pulled a TSTL move in the end--um, hello, if you hear guns going off you run the opposite way! Let Adam and the marshals do their job because they can take care of themselves and you're just going to add to the problem (which she did) or get yourself killed. I had no issue with Adam though--he's the best.

Adam and Genevieve were both African-Americans, so it was nice having that diversity in my romance read. I do wish the author made that fact more significant to the story, because without the author mentioning the fact that Adam was a runaway slave and Genevieve's ancestors were from Africa, they could have easily been white characters. But, I do appreciate the author having a non-white hero and heroine--how often does that happen in 90s romance?

Overall Thoughts
Each novella was about 150 pages long and were really fun and I enjoyed all three of them very much on their own. I'm reminded again why I couldn't get enough of Julie Garwood when I was in my historical romance phase. I love her style of writing--the mix of humor and heartfelt moments. I love that they have this overarching story arc of the mysterious US marshall Daniel Ryan, who does have his own book in the series (well, he shares it with Cole Clayborne) called Come the Spring and I might check it out because I already miss the brothers. If you miss these novellas the first time around like I did, now is the perfect time to pick them up in e-book form. The Clayborne Brides novellas are definitely a must-read for all Julie Garwood fans.


Get ready for wedding season Clayborne style!

Pocket Star E-books will be releasing Julie Garwood's three stories of the Clayborne brothers a la carte as separate e-books. One Pink Rose will be out on May 9th and will cost $1.99. It will be followed by One White Rose on June 13th ($2.99) and One Red Rose on July 11th ($2.99).

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.