Monday, March 28, 2016

My Intimidating TBR Pile Book Tag

Monday, March 28, 2016 with
Labels:
Hello everyone,
As my spring break is winding to a close, I find myself looking at all the books I was planning to read this week, but didn't get a chance to pick up. Therefore, The Intimidating TBR Book Tag (created by Lindsey Rey) is best at highlighting some of the books I still need to read.


What book have you been unable to finish?
I started All the Light We Cannot See last year around the time it was released. I bought the e-book and the audiobook because I wanted to simultaneously following along with the words with the audio--my favorite way of audiobooking. I got to about a thirdy, but I stopped because I went on a trip, then another trip (where I actually met the author and got a physical copy signed), and I never picked it back up either on audio or my hardcover copy.

The story was intriguing, but it's historical fiction, which is a genre I hardly reach for. There just seem to always be other, more interesting books to read. It doesn't help that All the Light We Cannot See is not the kind of book you rush through and can read quickly.

What book have you yet to read because...

...you just haven't had the time?
I picked up an early copy of Illuminae last year at the ALA conference in San Francisco and I'm dying to read it, because it promised to be a different kind of reading experience. But I just can't find the time. Urgh!

...it's a sequel?
I read Keeper of the Lost Cities last year and I loved it (gave it 5 out of 5 stars!). I don't know why I haven't picked up its sequel Keeper of the Lost Cities: Exile yet.

...it's brand new?
Rebel of the Sands is my newest [physical] addition to my bookshelf--it came about a week ago with my Uppercase subscription. I'm really digging books with a Middle Eastern flair, so I'm hoping to pick this one up soon. Also, how gorgeous is that cover?! I'm in love.

...you read a book by the same author and didn't enjoy it?
I read The Scorpio Races about four years ago, and while I recognized it as a beautiful, well-written novel, I personally found it to be slow and boring and it took me almost two weeks to read. From reading reviews about Stiefvater's novels, beautifully-written-but-slow-paced seem to be her style. I prefer my YA reads to be fast-paced and written in a readable prose that will take me a couple of days to read. This is why I haven't picked up The Raven Boys yet, despite owning all the books in the series.

...you're just not in the mood for it?
I was going to pick up Miss Mayhem during spring break, but I wasn't in the mood for it. It is on top of my TBR pile though, since I am part of the Lady Renegades blog tour in April because, you know, I have to read Miss Mayhem before I can pick up Lady Renegades.

...it's humongous?
I LOVED The Final Empire, but all the books in this entire series are CHUNKSTERS. I really want to read The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages, but I need a few days without work and without any review books getting in the way so I can solely dedicate my time to them.

...because it was a cover buy that turned out to have poor reviews?
The cover and the fact that I was in my ice dancing obsession thanks to the 2014 Winter Olympics--I was shipping Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir hard. I wanted to read about a skating couple and The Boy Next Door seemed to fit the bill. I started reading the first chapter and I couldn't really get into it, and them I read a bunch of lukewarm reviews so my interest in it waned.

What is the most intimidating book in your TBR pile?
I follow A LOT of Booktubers who loves this series, and it sounds like something I am going to love too. I've been collecting the all books in the series in anticipation that I will love it, but I have really high expectations for it thanks to all the glowing reviews I watched. I'm intimidated because I have to read four big books to catch up with everyone, but also I am nervous it won't live up to my expectations, I won't like them as much, and I bought these books just for them to gather dust on my bookshelf.

Who do you tag?
Everyone! But especially if you also have an intimidating TBR pile.

What are your answers to some of these questions? Do you have similar books as I do on my TBR pile? Have you read any of the books I mentioned?

Happy reading,
Michelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.