Review: Every Word by Ellie Marney | #wattscroft

Hardcover: 334 pages
Publisher: Tundra Books
Release Date: Septeber 8, 2015
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Every #2
Synopsis
James Mycroft has just left for London to investigate a car accident similar to the one that killed his parents seven years ago...without saying goodbye to Rachel Watts, his 'partner in crime'.

Rachel is furious and worried about his strange behaviour - not that Mycroft's ever exactly normal, but London is the scene of so many of his nightmares. So Rachel jumps on a plane to follow him...and lands straight in a whole storm of trouble.

The theft of a copy of Shakespeare's First Folio, the possible murder of a rare books conservator, and the deaths of Mycroft's parents...Can Watts help Mycroft make sense of the three events - or will she lose him forever?

Sparks fly when Watts and Mycroft reunite in this second sophisticated thriller about the teen sleuthing duo.



If you guys have been here long enough, you might've caught my very enthusiastic review about Every Breath and know how much I loved it. Of course, I was dying to read its sequel Every Word and tried to find a way to get my hands on an Australian copy because the series is initially published there. I wasn't successful so I had to wait like everybody else outside of Australia.

Well, you guys, the wait was worth it because Every Word is just as amazing as Every Breath. Actually, the Every series is my favorite Sherlock-and-Watson-inspired YA--I don't say this lightly because I've read some amazing Sherlock-inspired YAs this year but the Every series is at the very top.

Every Word picks up eight weeks after the events that happened in Every Breath. Rachel Watts and James Mycroft are officially a couple, but Rachel's parents are keeping a close eye on her and Mycroft. They still find stolen moments from some hot and heavy make-out sessions, though. Then, a new case came up with some similarities to the accident that killed Mycroft's parents years ago. Mycroft jumped on a plane to England without saying goodbye to Rachel. Furious and worried, Rachel follows Mycroft and once again they must work together to piece together three puzzling events that may or may not be related: the missing Shakespeare Folio, the death of a librarian who worked on the folio, and the murder of Mycroft's parents many years ago.

As with the first book in the series, the writing is superb--very readable and engaging. The main characters, Rachel and Mycroft, were fleshed out and imperfectly perfect. Both characters were interesting on their own, but put them together and they're so much more. These two have such fantastic chemistry that leaps off the page.

Rachel is based on Watson but she's no sidekick--she more than holds her own against the enigmatic Mycroft/Sherlock. I love that she calls Mycroft out on his crap. Like she said, she might've followed Mycroft to England but she's there to support him and be the impartial voice, not follow him blindly as he tried to force a connection that might not even be there between the new case and his parents' murder. LOVE her!

As for the mystery aspect, this one had me more twisted than in the previous book. I already passed the halfway point, and I still had no theories or a solid suspect in my head. It took me almost until the very end to piece together the puzzle. This was kind of unusual for me because I can usually figure things out way before the characters do. Kudos to the author for keeping up the mystery and suspense until the very end.

I loved that the story is set in England this time. Like I mentioned in previous posts, I love books that are set in a different country because then I can vicariously travel with the characters. It was really fun traveling with Rachel and seeing London through her eyes. She even visited the Sherlock Holmes Museum. But not everything was crumpets and double-decker buses, because thing turn for the worst and horrible as Rachel and Mycroft got deeper into the investigation.

Every Word was a fantastic follow-up to Every Breath. After reading it, I was in a bit of a book hangover because it's SO GOOD!! I loved reuniting with Rachel and Mycroft and seeing them grow as characters (especially Rachel) in each book after going through so much life and death situations. If you're going to read one Sherlock Holmes-inspired novel or series this year, make it this one. I promise, you won't be disappointed! After reading Every Breath and Every Word, I am so excited to read the last book, Every Move. I'm so eager to see how everything will come together. You guys, I might not survive the year-long wait.

1 comment

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. It's going to be hard waiting for the next in the series. happy to be on the tour with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.