The Secret Life of Book Blogger TAG

Hello everyone,
This is a slow week blogging-wise, but a very busy week work-wise. It's the end of first quarter so I'm working on grades and prepping for parent-teacher conferences, as well as working on teacher evaluation stuff. But, I thought I'd take a break and do this really fun tag that I saw on Amber's blog Du Livre. I'm always interested in knowing a bit more about the person behind the blog and I'd like you to get to know me as well. Here we go...

How long have you been a blogger?
I've been blogging since September 2009. I've taken a few one- or two-week hiatuses here and there over the years, but I've been blogging for SIX years. Holy cow!

At what point do you think you’ll stop blogging?
When things got busy, I was tempted to permanently stop but I think I'll miss it too much. I don't post as much as I did when I first started, but the content I put up now are more meaningful and substantial so I'm happy. I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

What is the best thing about blogging?
I'm not going to lie, being able to read a book (especially one I am dying to read) weeks or months before the release day is a HUGE perk of blogging. I am always grateful and thankful for the opportunity to be able to do that. Another thing I love about blogging is sharing my thoughts and opinions about a book. Besides my sister, I have anyone to talk to about books (especially romance novels--Leslie doesn't read them) in real life so getting my thoughts out there and knowing others are reading it is wonderful for an introvert like me.

What is the worst thing? What do you do to make it OK?
The worst thing about blogging is never having enough time to read my own books because review books take priority. If I give my word that I'm going to review a book at a certain date, I need to get that book read before anything else. Unfortunately, I am a very slow reader and I'm very busy with my job so I hardly read during the weekdays. Most of my reading is done during the weekend and I can maybe squeeze reading two novels. Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the review books I get and I find it amazing that publishers care enough about my opinion and think our blog significant enough to send me books. But it does take away from reading the books I bought and I am very much excited for.

How do I make it okay? Well, I am very choosy these days with which books I accept for review and keep a strict calendar so I can gauge if I have enough time to read and review before I commit. I'm happy to say, almost all of the books I accept for review are ones that I would've bought anyway. There's one or two titles I take a chance on, but no longer do I say "yes" to every book pitch e-mail I receive like I did when I was a newbie blogger.


How long does it take you to make/find pictures to use?
It depends on the type of post. If it's a review, then I just go to Goodreads to get the book cover image. If it's a more elaborate like my In Which I Pair the Best Summer Reads to the Cutest Cats post, then I scour Pinterest and Google for hours to find the perfect pictures and then spend another hour to edit the photos on PicMonkey.

Who is your book crush?
Lots! Bishop from The Book of Ivy and The Revolution of Ivy (I just finished it! It's fantastic!), Khalid from The Wrath and the Dawn, T.J. Callahan from On the Island, Wesley from The Duff, Hawke from Kiss of Snow, Bennett from Beautiful Bastard, Garrett Graham from The Deal, Drew Baylor from The Hook Up, Special Agent Jack Pallas from Something About You... and many others!


What author would you like to have on your blog?
Renee Ahdieh and Marie Rutkoski so I can pick their brains about The Rose and the Dagger and The Winner's Kiss respectively.

What do you wear when you write your blog post?
My "house clothes," which consists of a tank top and men's boxers. I own a lot of men's boxers because they're cheaper than women's sleep shorts and are just as comfy to wear them around the house and in bed.

How long does it take you to prepare?
It depends. I write mostly book reviews and some just flow out of me--those usually take an hour to an hour thirty minutes. Others take longer and there's a lot of typing, staring blankly at the computer screen and deleting and typing again and those take me from 2-3 hours.

How do you feel about the book blogger community?
I can't really answer this question because I don't feel like I participate enough, or not as much as I want to. I'm on social media only sporadically. But I have nothing negative to say. It's a good community to be in, I just wish I'm able to participate in it more. I'd especially love to take part in buddy reads.

What do you think one should do to get a successful blog?
For me, as long as you enjoy book blogging and it brings you joy you're already successful.


I can't figure out who started this tag, but if you do please let me know so I can give credit. Let me know if you guys are going to do this tag or already did it. I'd love to read your answers.

Happy reading,
Michelle

1 comment

  1. Oh yay I'm so happy you did this one Michelle! I thought I was done blogging like two years ago, but it's hard to walk away! Too much fun to be had, and people to talk books about (I think I have 2 people IRL that like a FEW of the books I like, so it gets kind of lonely).




    I've noticed that reviews flow out of me quicker when I have a few drinks in me (but of course that means I have to spell check a lot more). :p


    Thanks for sharing Michelle!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.