Review: The Revolution of Ivy by Amy Engel

E-ARC: 400 pages
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: November 3, 2015
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: The Book of Ivy #2
Synopsis
Ivy Westfall is beyond the fence and she is alone. Abandoned by her family and separated from Bishop Lattimer, Ivy must find a way to survive on her own in a land filled with countless dangers, both human and natural. She has traded a more civilized type of cruelty--forced marriages and murder plots--for the bare-knuckled brutality required to survive outside Westfall's borders.

But there is hope beyond the fence, as well. And when Bishop reappears in Ivy's life, she must decide if returning to Westfall to take a final stand for what she believes is right is worth losing everything she's fought for.


Warning: Mild spoilers.

I was dying to read The Revolution of Ivy to find out what happened to Ivy and Bishop after all the things happened at the end of The Book of Ivy.
The Revolution of Ivy picks up where The Book of Ivy ended. She was supposed to kill her new husband Bishop Lattimer (the son of her family's enemy), but in the end she fell in love with Bishop and couldn't go through with her father and sister's plan. She took the fall for them and as punishment, she was thrown out of Westfall and left outside the fenced compound. She must find a way to survive on her own amidst all the dangers both human and natural.

The first third of the novel, Ivy was on her own in the wilderness trying to survive but eventually she was rescued by a girl about her age Ash and her adopted brother Caleb. She formed a friendship with them and they took her in, but she kept the reason why she was kicked out of Westfall to herself. Ivy was getting along well until Bishop reappeared in her life. When she learned that Westfall was in chaos and her dad and sister were in trouble, she had to decide whether to return and save the family who turned their back on her or live a new life with Bishop away from Westfall.

Ivy grew up a lot in this book because she was no longer under the influence of her dad and sister. But after the events in The Book of Ivy, she was carrying a lot of emotional weight on her shoulders. When Bishop came back into her life, she didn't know quite what to do with him because there was a lot of unresolved issues between them--like her planning to kill him after they got married. She would run hot and cold towards him and despite Bishop wanting to talk about what happened between them, for the longest time she refused. I grew frustrated and aggravated with her. I wanted to reach into the pages and shake her because she was pushing away the one person who really loved her. I felt so bad for Bishop, who was my precious baby. Yep, Bishop was as swoon-worthy as ever. Really, he's the epitome of a perfect guy: strong, sensitive, sweet, caring, supportive... Seriously, where can I find a Bishop of my own?

But once they got over that hump in their relationship, Ivy and Bishop grew closer in a way they couldn't in the first book. I loved watching their relationship grow. Despite my frustration with Ivy, I was rooting for her and Bishop to have their happy ending.

I mentioned the two new characters Ash and Caleb. They were both great! Ash became the best friend Ivy never had. At first I was nervous about Caleb--I mean, I always get nervous when authors introduce a new guy to the story because they could potentially be a second love interest to the main female character forming a love triangle, a YA standard these days. But fear not, friends! Ms. Engel did no such thing. Caleb was just a friend--there was no romantic feeling between him and Ivy at all. None. Thank you Ms. Engel! And I love Caleb's character all the more for that reason. If Ms. Engel decided to write spin-off series about Ash and Caleb, I'd be totally down. I might even ship Ash and Caleb even though they only had a strict sibling relationship in The Revolution of Ivy.

Okay, besides Ivy going hot and cold to my precious baby Bishop, another thing that aggravated me about her was her choice to go back to Westfall to save her dad and sister. Seriously?! These people were horrible to Ivy and they turned their back on her, betrayed her. If I were Ivy, I'd say good riddance. I didn't agree with her decision to go back. I don't care if they're her family, what they did was unforgivable. The dad and the sister got what was coming to them in the end, so I was satisfied.

The Book of Ivy series is only a duology, so all the questions you're left with at the end of the first book is answered in The Revolution of Ivy and is, therefore, a must-read. If you got this far of my rambling review, I obviously had a lot of emotions especially towards Ivy where reading this book. But I had a great time! The Revolution of Ivy was a very entertaining read and I devoured it very quickly. I admit I didn't love it as much as I did The Book of Ivy, which I found more complex in terms of plot and character motivations, but it is a worthy sequel and a satisfying conclusion to the series. The Revolution of Ivy is a must-read for fans of The Book of Ivy.

1 comment

  1. I'm happy Ivy managed to get from under her father and sister's thumbs! While I found interesting as individual characters in the first book, I hated how much of a puppet Ivy was for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.