Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: Gallery Books
Release Date: August 25, 2015
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: The Legal Briefs #2**
Synopsis
A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.

Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.

Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.

And that — that, I know how to do.



Sustained is my favorite book by Emma Chase (so far). It was hilarious, fun, funny and had so much heart that I melted. 

Other than Sustained, I've read Tangled, Twisted and Overruled (book 1 in the Legal Brief series) and in every one is the classic Emma Chase hero, the lovable scoundrel. Really, no one else I've can do a lovable scoundrel as well as Emma Chase can. Before Sustained, my favorite was Drew Evans but Jake Becker blew him out of the water. At first I was unsure I'd like him--he slept with a different woman every night and had freakin' had a syphilis scare. Afterwards, he was ranting and raving about having to on at least three dates so that he can be sure the next woman he sleeps with is clean. Jake was a douche, but even before his character grew and evolved we find out that he's not a total douche.

We learn that he was an angry, father-less screw-up kid who was taken under the wings of a judge who helped him turn his life around to become the successful lawyer he was. When the old judge developed Alzheimer's and was put in a home, Jake visited him every week without fail. He loves his mom and had a good relationship with her. When he met Chelsea McQuaid's nephews and nieces, he quickly built rapport with all of them and became a big part of their lives. 

Since we're in his head the entire time, we can see how he grew to care for all of them despite his oft repeated mantra that he did not want anything to tie him down and that his career takes precedence in his life. He really loved the kids and the kids loved him. I love Jake's interactions and scenes with each of the six kids--I had my doubts how Ms. Chase was going to pull off the six kids without them being too much but she did such a great job! She also didn't resort to the typical kid cliches--there were some but not so overwhelming and each kid had his or her own unique personality.

As for Chelsea, she's awesome and I liked her right away--unlike Sofia's character in Overruled who I did not find appealing at all. She had a lot on her plate, with her brother and sister-in-law's sudden death and having to drop everything in her life to take care of six kids ranging from a one-year-old to a 14-year-old. I felt for her and I can imagine myself being in her shoes. But she didn't complain, did the best she could, and she clearly loved her nieces and nephews. I also loved how her relationship with Jake developed. They were able to form a solid friendship before they jumped into the sex, which was very steamy but nothing kinky.

Sustained was such a fun book to read. The plot wasn't anything new and I knew where the story was going to go and how the characters were going to react, but I still wanted to know and see how everything for Jake, Chelsea and the kids will turn out. I was very much entertained by the story, and I had such a grand time reading it. I devoured it in a day because I was so engaged in the story that I had a hard time putting it down. I highly recommend you pick up Sustained. It's one of Emma Chase's best. 

I'm so, so, so excited to read Appealed, which will be about Jake's friend Brent Mason and it's going to be a second chance romance. Eeeeppp!!!

**You don't need to read Overruled to enjoy Sustained.

Read my review of Tangled and Twisted and Overruled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.