Review: Hardwired by Meredith Wild

Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Forever
Release Date: May 12, 2015
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Hacker #1
Synopsis
Determined to overcome a difficult past, Erica Hathaway learns early on to make it on her own. Days after her college graduation, she finds herself face to face with a panel of investors who will make or break her fledgling startup. The only thing she didn’t prepare for was going weak in the knees over an arrogant and gorgeous investor who seems determined to derail her presentation.

Billionaire and rumored hacker Blake Landon has already made his fortune in software, and he’s used to getting what he wants. Captivated by Erica’s drive and unassuming beauty, he’s wanted nothing more than to possess her since she stepped into his boardroom. Determined to win her over, he breaks down her defenses and fights for her trust, even if it means sacrificing a level of control he’s grown accustomed to.

But when Blake uncovers a dark secret from Erica’s past, he threatens not just her trust, but the life she’s fought so hard to create.



Hardwired tells a familiar story of a young woman with a difficult past falls for the mysterious billionaire. But I had such a great time reading Hardwired anyway.
If you've read the Fifty Shades of Grey series (I haven't, but I've seen the movie) or the Crossfire series (I read the first two books), you're not going to find anything really new here. Hardwired does follow a similar plot, but I was very surprised how much I enjoyed reading it.

The most important reason why I enjoyed Hardwired was that it's not a BDSM story. I am not a huge fan of BDSM--not just my cup of tea--and that's really the reason why I avoided picking up Fifty Shades all this time. The sex scenes here were definitely on the steamier side, but there wasn't anything crazy or kinky (at least not in this first book--maybe the author will take it farther in the next book?). Don't let the cover (which just screams boudoir sex) fool you that Hardwired is just sex, sex, and more sex. There was a lot more going on and I thought the sex scenes were well-placed and helped to move the story. It had just the right amount of steam for me.

As soon as I started reading it, I knew I was going to enjoy it based on the writing alone. It was very readable and while nothing really surprised me about the plot, the author told the story in an entertaining way that kept me reading. I really like the author's voice. There were no weird turns of phrases and the writing was solid throughout the novel. 

I liked Erica right away. Having just graduated college not that long ago, I connected with her about leaving school and facing the real world, of feeling alone as friends move on. But Erica, despite her traumatic past, was smart, strong, ambitious and had some control issues. She knew what direction to take her business and she pursued it. She's no wallflower like Anastasia was and she's not an over-the-top drama queen like Ava was. 

It took me longer to warm up to Blake, though. He didn't really make a huge impression on me apart from the very beginning when he was going at Erica Shark Tank-style during her business presentation to potential investors. But after that, he kind of lost some of his sparkle and became like all the other billionaires I've read before. His character didn't feel very special to me for most of the novel though he did eventually grow on me. He also had control issues and I wanted to know more about him and his past.

Overall, I really, really enjoyed Hardwired. The plot is not original but I liked the characters, the writing was fantastic,  there was good chemistry and tension between them, and it had the right amount of steam. I was very entertained. Hardwired is a great start to the series and I am definitely interested in reading the rest of the books. If you're like me and do not like BDSM novels, but still like the whole mysterious billionaire plot line, then you should really give this series a try.

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.