Soulbound by Kristen Callihan Review + Top 5 Favorite Quotes from the Darkest London Series

Hello everyone,
I hope you're all having a happy Monday! Today I will be reviewing Kristen Callihan's newest release, Soulbound, which is the 6th book in her Darkest London series. I also have Kristen's Top 5 Favorite Quotes Said by Characters in the Darkest London Series as picked by readers. Read on!


ARC: 366 pages
Publisher: Forever
Release Date: February 24, 2015
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Darkest London #6
Synopsis
Once two souls are joined...
When Adam's soul mate rejected him, there was more at stake than his heart. After seven hundred years of searching, his true match would have ended the curse that keeps his spirit in chains. But beautiful, stubborn Eliza May fled—and now Adam is doomed to an eternity of anguish, his only hope for salvation gone...

Their hearts will beat together forever...
No matter how devilishly irresistible Adam was, Eliza couldn't stand the thought of relinquishing her freedom forever. So she escaped. But she soon discovers she is being hunted—by someone far more dangerous. The only man who can help is the one man she vowed never to see again. Now Adam's kindness is an unexpected refuge, and Eliza finds that some vows are made to be broken...


I picked up Soulbound because it has one of my all-time favorite romance trope, which is the second-chance/reuniting couple trope, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. I loved Soulbound so much that I just had to read more books in the series. Before I even finished it, I was already ordering Winterblaze (another second-chance romance--I can't get enough of those) because I needed to spend more time in the world and learn about it.

It's not often I give a 5-star rating to a romance novel, but here it is well-deserved. I loved everything about Soulbound--the characters (especially Eliza and Adam), the world, the dialogue and banter and all the feels. I was a little sad that my time with Eliza and Adam was at an end after I read the last chapter (the epilogue doesn't really count because it sets up the next book in the series) because they were so wonderful and I wanted more time with them.

6th book in the series. Do not let this deter you from pick up Soulbound. I have not read any of the books in the series, but I have able to still enjoy it (obviously) a whole lot. I was a little confused at first (especially with the whole GIM thing) and there's a huge cast of characters whose back story I don't know about, but I caught on enough that I understood what was going on. I did grow curious about the other characters, though, and I plan on reading some of the previous books, starting with Winterblaze.

Plot. Adam and Eliza didn't have the greatest start to their relationship. When they first met and Adam realized that Eliza was his soul mate, he chained her to him so that she'll never leave his side. Yeah, bad idea. Chaining a girl to you was never a good idea. Eliza didn't believe in soul mates so she dismissed Adam's claim that she was his and Adam's actions just made her resent him.

Eliza escaped with the help of her aunt Mab (the insane Queen of the Fae) and was staying with her when she found Adam chained in Mab's basement. She ended up rescuing him when she found out that an old enemy had found her and Adam was the only one who could help her defeat him. 

Eliza and Adam. Eliza, found herself attracted to Adam, but she spent most of the book shutting Adam out because of what he did and also because of her secret. I found myself warming up to Adam sooner than I did with Eliza, especially after we got his backstory. Eliza was cold and sharp with Adam and I felt sorry for the guy because it was clear he regretted his past actions and felt remorse for the way he treated Eliza. But I really liked both of their characters apart and together. The two bickered and bantered their way around London and I loved it. We got gems** like this:

"...you insult me by assuming that appearance is the only attribute in a man that I, no, that my entire sex finds attractive. Second, Sin is my cousin."

"He's a second cousin, at the closest," Adam countered, with an apparent dogged determination to annoy her. "Kings and queens have coupled with closer kin."

She shot him a sidelong glare and found him grinning. "You're teasing me."

The corners of his eyes crinkled. "Aye, sweet Eliza, I'm teasing. Besides"--he leaned in and murmured against her ear in his sinful voice--"you do not want to fuck him." The tip of his tongue flicked her earlobe.

Eliza jumped, her face heating, her breath coming short. "And you presume to know who I'd like to fuck?" If he could say the word, so could she.

Adam's nostrils flared on a sharp breath, his expression turning carnal. "No presumptions necessary. All you need do is work up the courage to ask, dove. Believe me, I shall comply."
And this:
"Ah, now," crooned Adam, "here we are, then." With infinite care, as though he were handling a babe, he lifted the sword out, and a sigh seemed to go through him. "Ah, my lovely, it's been far too long."

"Shall I leave you two alone, then?" Eliza's lips twitched. She'd never seen such a look of reverence mixed with old familiarity. It was nearly indecent.

Adam spared her a glance. "Quiet woman, a man's relationship with his sword is a sacred thing."

"So I've heard."

"Saucy wench."
Their chemistry was scorching throughout, which made the build up to their smexy times all the better.

The world. Like I said already, I want to spend more time in the world. I really like the dark atmospheric feel to it--the wet, foggy, shadowy Victorian London that I pictured in my head. It was a fascinating world and wanted to know more about the faes, the lycans, the GIM and the others with no easy labels. I may start with Winterblaze since it's already headed my way and work up to Soulbound again.

Would I recommend it? Yes! Even if you haven't read the other books in the series, do not hesitate to pick it up because it stands well on its own. Soulbound was a brilliant read and I loved everything about it. Set in a fascinating world with a wonderful hero and heroine, told in an engaging way with fantastic writing, Soulbound was a 5-star read. Pick it up especially if you enjoy historical romance with a big paranormal twist.

**Taken from the ARC edition. It may have changed in the final publication.

Author Kristen Callihan
We asked author Kristen Callihan to share her Top 5 Favorite Quotes Said by Characters in the Darkest London Series and these are her picks:

Favorite quotes really ought to come from readers, don’t you think? :) So I picked quotes from Goodreads. One from each book out so far. I will say that the Firelight quote is by far my most popular. I’ve found it used in fashion tumblers, to dating sites, to describing a comic book character. That makes me supremely happy.

“What is beauty or ugliness but a false front that prompts man to make assumptions rather than delving deeper.”
Firelight

“We are all imperfect creatures, love. I don't want perfect. I just want you.”
Moonglow

“Infernal woman, you nearly gave me an apoplexy. They ought to count you among the ten plagues of Egypt!”
Winterblaze

“A kiss, he said, is a conversation. Easing closer, he continued to speak as he caressed her cheeks with featherlight stokes of his thumbs. "A first kiss", his lips neared hers, “is an introduction.”
Shadowdance

“By the time she'd finished with him, with a little encouraging pat and a request that he rest quiet like a good lad, there was no point in denying it: Holly Evernight would be the death of him.”
Evernight

For more info about Kristen Callihan and all her books, visit her website. You can also chat with her on Twitter and Facebook.

Happy reading,
Michelle

2 comments

  1. What a fantastic review! This wasn't on my radar, but since you recommend it so warmly, I'll put it on my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ramona! i hope you'll enjoy it as much as i did :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.