Review: Rock Hard by Nalini Singh

E-ARC: 284 pages
Release Date: March 10, 2015
Source of my copy: TRSOR
Series: Rock Kiss #2
Synopsis
Wealthy businessman Gabriel Bishop rules the boardroom with the same determination and ruthlessness that made him a rock star on the rugby field. He knows what he wants, and he’ll go after it no-holds-barred.

And what he wants is Charlotte Baird.

Charlotte knows she’s a mouse. Emotionally scarred and painfully shy, she just wants to do her job and remain as invisible as possible. But the new CEO—a brilliant, broad-shouldered T-Rex of a man who growls and storms through the office, leaving carnage in his wake—clearly has other plans. Plans that may be equal parts business and bedroom.

If Charlotte intends to survive this battle of wits and hearts, the mouse will have to learn to wrangle the T-Rex. Game on.



I was so excited to get my hands on Rock Hard and I am happy to say it does not disappoint.

Charlotte Baird was Molly's (the heroine in the first book in the Rock Kiss series, Rock Addiction--my review) best friend. While I was reading Rock Addiction I found myself more interested in Charlotte's character than Molly's. Then, when T-Rex (aka Gabriel Bishop) came up in Charlotte's conversations with Molly I was ready to beg Nalini Singh for a book that focused on Charlotte and T-Rex.

Charlotte was very shy and timid--she was aptly nicknamed Charlie-Mouse. And we come to learn why and it was heartbreaking. But beneath the mousey exterior, Charlotte had a hidden depth of strength, spunk and backbone.

Gabriel was the new CEO of a company where Charlotte works. He was well-known for saving failing businesses. When he took over the office where Charlotte works, he started by firing people left and right. He was a tough-as-nails, intimidating alpha man (hence she nicknamed him T-Rex) and Charlotte was sure she's next to get fired. Instead, he hired her as his personal assistant. Gabriel saw beneath Charlotte's mousey exterior, a hidden depth to her which he found very attractive.

I loved the two of them together! I can't get over this couple! While Gabriel was cold and ruthless alpha, he never pushed her and was always there for her. Gabriel was just so wonderful! I swooned over him so many times--seriously, where can I get my own T-Rex?! Charlotte brought the soft side of Gabriel and I loved it.

My biggest issue with Rock Addiction was the emphasis on sex to the point where it became so repetitive and I grew bored. I am happy to report that in Rock Hard it wasn't like that at all. Instead, the author took the time to build their relationship, for Charlotte to gain her confidence to be able to take that step again with a man. Gabriel and Charlotte had the kind of slow burn, swoon-worthy courtship I loved from Rock Courtship (the novella between this novel and Rock Addiction).

If you read Nalini Singh's paranormal series and loved them as much as I did, then you need to check out her contemporary romance series Rock Kiss if you haven't already. I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, but the novella Rock Courtship and Rock Hard were both amazing for me, with Nalini Singh's signature writing and they'll make you feel all the feels. You can read Rock Hard as a standalone.

2 comments

  1. oh great review...I had similar thoughts on Rock Hard. It is my favorite book of the series. I enjoyed the first two, but there was something more in depth about this book that I just loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review :) I haven't read her, but I've heard many good things. Points for a shy protagonist - makes a change from the ubiquitous snarky type :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.