Monday, December 29, 2014

Hello everyone,
I'm a cover whore. Yep, I admit it. Covers are hella important. If I'm browsing a book's cover is the first thing catches my attention, and if I'm attracted to it, I stop and take time to read the synopsis.

We are told not to judge books by their covers but, heck, I judge them all the time. So, this is my list of favorite book covers of 2014. All of these books are published this year.



Alrighty, in no particular order...



Number 1: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
I absolutely love this cover. If I could I'd marry it. It's a girl-in-a-beautiful-dress done right. I think the font and the font placement is very well-designed. And I like that the font is printed sideways--you don't see that often.







Number 2: It Happened One Night by Julie James
This cover is different from the other covers of Julie's books. My first reaction to it, to be totally honest, was Why?! It doesn't match the other books on my shelf. But it grew on me and I ended up loving it. I love the pink and the greens, I love the shoes, and I actually love that it does not have a "hugging" couple on the cover.






Number 3: The Lonesome Young by Lucy Connors
I have not read this book--and I don't really plan to because the reviews were very mix and from what they say it doesn't sound like something I'm going to enjoy. BUT, if I can find a copy for cheap, I'd buy it anyway just for the cover. There's something about the couple and how they're holding each other that is sooo romantic and beautiful to me and makes me swoon.







Number 4: Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
This is another book I have not read and I don't really plan to because (again) the reviews of people I trust were not very favorable. But there's not denying how beautiful the cover is. If I can find this book for cheap I'd totally buy it just for the cover.






Number 5: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
I have a physical ARC of this book waiting for me on my shelf but I just haven't had the chance to pick it up yet much of my dismay. But I am definitely going to be reading very, very soon. I am also planning to buy a finished copy because I just LOVE the cover. I love the gray/yellow color scheme, I love the girl and her circlet of flowers, and I love the design around the font. It is so cool. The whole cover design just works.







Number 6: Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire
I have not read anything by Jamie McGuire, but I do have Beautiful Disaster on my Kindle. But I just had to buy Beautiful Oblivion. I'm a huge fan of peacock feathers and I love it on this cover. This cover looks even better in person because it has a metallic sheen to it.






Number 7: The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas
I didn't think they could top the cover of The Burning Sky (which I read and loved) with its bird in flames but the water dragon on this cover is even better. The Perilous Sea is another one that is waiting for me on my shelf that I'm hoping to read very, very soon.








Number 8: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
I wasn't a huge fan of the new covers for Perkins' novels initially but they grew on me--except now Isla is the odd one out on my shelf. New York City is one of my favorite places I've been to and I love seeing it on the cover of Isla. I love the color scheme too and how the title is huge on the page. The cover design is simple yet striking.






Number 9: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
I'm currently reading this book and I cannot help but love the cover. I love the French town by the water and how it looks so peaceful and idyllic, but the cover adds an ominous feel to the whole thing. Like, a calm before the storm--in this case, the calm before World War II. 








Number 10: A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray
This is another book I have not read and I don't really have an interest in reading. But the cover is absolutely gorgeous. I want it poster size so that I can hang it on my wall. I mix media of the water colors and the modern buildings with St. Basil's Cathedral (which is one of my favorite landmarks of all time) on the white background. 






Number 11: Jilted by Rachael Johns
I just love the contrast of the woman in the poofy wedding dress in a empty desert road setting and since the novel is set in Australia, it makes sense. 








Number 12: Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker
I love the swamp water, the cypress tree and the fire flies. I love the font of the title, especially the word "wild." I love how upon closer look, you see more details you might have missed at first glance, like how the title is reflected on the swamp water. I love the creepy atmosphere of the cover matches the synopsis of the story. 






Number 13: Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
This is my favorite Colleen Hoover book cover--maybe even my favorite new adult cover of all time. I like that it features a couple on the cover, but they're not about to have sex like most NA covers. It's only upon closer look do you see the couple kissing through the title. I also like that they are looking at music notes, which goes with the story (or so I've heard--I haven't read it yet, but it's on my shelf waiting for me).







Number 14: Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
This cover is simple yet it still grabs you. I really like the different fonts they used and how they formatted it. I really like the tag line too: "They told each other everything except what matters most." I'm like, what stuff did they tell each other? And what stuff did they not?





I didn't realize a lot of my favorites have a blue/teal/green color scheme. I guess I'm mostly attracted to blue/green covers. Interesting.

I'll be doing more 2014 lists in the next few days. Look out for my Top 14 Favorite Books of 2014 tomorrow and my Top 15 Most Anticipated Books of 2015 on Wednesday.

Let me know if any of the books I mentioned above are in your favorite covers list too.

Happy reading,
Michelle

5 comments:

  1. The cover for A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU is drool worthy. I definitely wouldn't mind having a poster either. Looking forward to your upcoming Top of 14 lists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many pretty covers. I like how simple and startling All The Things We Cannot See is! A Thousand Pieces of You has been popping up alot as a favorite !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the cover for A Thousand Pieces of You and The Kiss of Deception - they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover for The Winner's Curse. There's just something so appealing about it aesthetically that I had to have it, and then I read the synopsis and the book just got better. It doesn't happen often but when it does it really works to make me want to read the book, and soon, and have it displayed on my shelf. [:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do like the Isla cover; and The Winner's Curse is beautiful- I haven't read that one yet, but I do want too.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.