Review: Hit by Lorie Ann Grover

Hardcover: 215 pages
Publisher: Blink
Release Date: October 7, 2014
Source of my copy: Blink/BookSparks
Series: standalone
Synopsis
After receiving a full-ride scholarship to Mills College for Girls, it appears Sarah's future is all laid out before her that is until she walks into a poetry class led by Mr. Haddings, a student teacher from the nearby University of Washington. Suddenly, life on the UW campus seems very appealing, and Sarah finds herself using her poetry journal to subtly declare her feelings for Haddings. Convinced Mr. Haddings is flirting back, she sets off for school in the rain with a poem in her back pocket one that will declare her feelings once and for all.

Mr. Haddings has noticed Sarah's attention; the fallout from any perceived relationship with a student is too great a risk, and he has decided to end all speculation that morning.

But everything changes when Mr. Haddings feels a thud on his front bumper when he glances away from the road, and finds Sarah in the street with blood pooling beneath her.



Hit is one of those books where I don't really have any strong feelings about it. It wasn't a bad read overall. Towards the end I even got kind of into it, but for the most part it was just okay.
The story occurred in the span of three days, a little bit before Sarah got hit to when she leaves the hospital. The first person POV switches between Sarah and Mr. Haddings, student teacher at her school. 

Sarah has a huge crush on Haddings and she thinks he might like her back because they have a similar love of poetry. Sarah thought that Haddings was sending her veiled messages of his feelings for her through the poetry he reads in class.

Haddings knew getting involved with a student will cause a scandal that will end his teaching career prematurely. So, he wrote a poem he read to the class to let her know that he only sees her as a student and nothing else. But Sarah still hope that once she's in college (she won a full ride to Mills College but she want to go to UW to be in the same campus as Haddings--I mean, she's basing her decision on a guy who might not even return her feelings. Seriously?!) they'll form a friendship that will turn into something more.

And then he hit her.

In the hospital we see how Sarah's family react to the accident. And I couldn't stand any of them. Okay, I know people aren't in their best when in a state of panic and worry of whether their loved one will live or die. But I couldn't stand those people! There were times when it seemed like they were more concerned about their own personal drama than what was happening to Sarah. I especially couldn't stand Sarah best friend Cydni. The way she was acting in the hospital seemed like she was putting on a show rather than being genuinely worried for Sarah. Cydni has a crush on Sarah's brother and what I was getting was that she's playing the worried friend for him. I mean, she stood by Sarah to the end, but she also has her own agenda to getting Sarah's brother to notice her.

As for Haddings, half of the book was in his POV but I was indifferent to him. He was guilty and, hiding from Sarah's family, he stayed at the hospital to see if she'll make it through the surgery. I did feel bad for him when Cydni caught him and started yelling at him, but his character was just... meh. The way Sarah described him, he was cute and can spout romantic poems but was self-important and self-centered. 

The one character that did save the whole novel for me was Sarah. I didn't like her much in the beginning because she seemed like a spoiled brat with hearts and cupid in her eyes. But when she came to from her surgeries we got more of her and her personality. The way she reacted to the accident, her family in the hospital and learning that Haddings was great. I was all, you go Sarah! She really grew in the two days and I was glad she made the decision about her future the way she did. I also liked the way Haddings took action toward the end. 

I started the book feeling detached from the characters but by the end I did end up liking them and that saved the book for me. Hit kind of has a made for TV movie feel to it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I can't give this book a strong recommendation, but if you're curious borrow it from the library. Hit was an easy read and with only 215 pages, a quick read--I think Hit will appeal to reluctant readers or high school students who aren't big readers but need to read book to do a book report on.

Hit is part of my
Click here to read my thoughts on my other FRC 2014 read, Blind Spot for Boys by Justina Chen.

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.