Thursday, October 30, 2014

Hello everyone,
Today, we have author Jeyn Roberts on this here blog.

Jeyn's newest book The Bodies We Wear came out last month and it's about a girl who lives a dark, shadowy world overrun with drug dealers and junkies addicted to a hallucinogen called Heam.

Anywho, here's the synopsis in case you need it.

A streetwise girl trains to take on a gang of drug dealers and avenge her best friend’s death in this thriller for fans of Scott Westerfeld and Robin Wasserman.

People say when you take Heam, your body momentarily dies and you catch a glimpse of heaven. Faye was only eleven when dealers forced Heam on her and her best friend, Christian. But Faye didn’t glimpse heaven—she saw hell. And Christian died.

Now Faye spends her days hiding her secret from the kids at school, and her nights training to take revenge on the men who destroyed her life and murdered her best friend. But life never goes the way we think it will. When a mysterious young man named Chael appears, Faye's plan suddenly gets a lot more complicated. Chael seems to know everything about her, including her past. But too many secrets start tearing her world apart: trouble at school, with the police, and with the people she thought might be her friends. Even Gazer, her guardian, fears she's become too obsessed with vengeance. Love and death. Will Faye overcome her desires, or will her quest for revenge consume her?


Author Jeyn Roberts
The Bodies We Wear is a revenge story—Faye plans to take revenge against the men who ruined her life. What are some of your favorite revenge novels or TV shows?

Movies: Heathers. Desperado. The Crow. True Grit. I haven’t seen the show Revenge, but I hear it’s good.

Books: Carrie by Stephen King. Horns by Joe Hill. Out by Natsuo Kirino.

And both book and movie: Long live The Princess Bride. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

What sort of research went into the writing of this novel? What was the most interesting thing you did/discovered for research?

I can’t say I did a whole lot of research. Most of the book came out of my imagination. I did do a lot of reading about the afterlife, looking into different religious beliefs at one point. And I sat down with a good friend (she’s a personal trainer) and went over the different workout routines that Faye followed.

The Bodies We Wear has been described as Kill Bill meets The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. What do you think of that description?

I think it’s interesting. Haha! I enjoyed the Kill Bill movies, although they are a bit more violent than what happens in my book. I haven’t read or seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I can’t really say.

How was writing The Bodies We Wear different from writing your previous novels? Did you run into some challenges that you didn’t have when writing your previous books?

It took me a lot longer to write Bodies because I had to stop in the middle of it to finish Rage Within. Bodies was very personal to me. I’d lost my father and was dealing with a lot of questions I had about the afterlife. Writing the novel helped me cope with my anxieties. I still don’t have any answers, but creating the book calmed me somehow.


What is your favorite scene or line from The Bodies We Wear?

There are two. The scene where Faye first comes up against Trank was a lot of fun to write. I also love the scene in the butterfly garden with Chael and Faye.

*****

A big thank you to Jeyn for answering our questions and for Random House and Aisha for the opportunity to be part of the blog tour. Bookish friends, The Bodies We Wear is already out in your favorite bookstore and public library.


For more info about Jeyn and her novels, stop by her website, Twitter and Facebook. Look for my review of The Bodies We Wear next week.

Happy reading,
Michelle


**We are not affiliated with any of the retailers listed and will not earn any referral fees if you click on the links.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.