Blog Tour Review: Every Breath by Ellie Marney


Hello everyone,
Australian cover
I am so happy to be part of Tundra Books' blog tour for Every Breath by Ellie Marney. I saw an ARC copy of Every Breath at the ALA conference back in June and I picked one up because Sylvia (she's one of the publicist at Tundra and one of our favorite people because she feeds my and Leslie's book addiction) said I might enjoy it since it has a good romance (and she knows I'm all about the romance). I didn't think much about it because I didn't recognize the cover... Until I got back home and realized it's actually this book (see right).

The Australian novel that I've been wanting to get my hands on because it's a modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes (I love Sherlock!) except with teens--Watson is a girl called Rachel Watts and Sherlock is called James Mycroft and they solve a mystery and there's an attraction between them and I needed to get my hands on it because even though I haven't even read it I already ship Mycroft and Watts but it was only available in Australia and ARGH!!!

Yeah, that was me before I realized that I actually had the book in my hands already. Thank you Tundra and Sylvia! And I am even more thankful because I get to be part of the blog tour for Every Breath.

Anywho, sorry for the long introduction. Let's just get to my review of Every Breath.


Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Tundra Books
Pages: 352 pages
Release Date: October 14, 2014
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Every #1
Synopsis
When James Mycroft drags Rachel Watts off on a night mission to the Melbourne Zoo, the last thing she expects to find is the mutilated body of Homeless Dave, one of Mycroft's numerous eccentric friends. But Mycroft's passion for forensics leads him to realize that something about the scene isn't right--and he wants Watts to help him investigate the murder.

While Watts battles her attraction to bad-boy Mycroft, he's busy getting himself expelled and clashing with the police, becoming murder suspect number one. When Watts and Mycroft unknowingly reveal too much to the cold-blooded killer, they find themselves in the lion's den--literally. A trip to the zoo will never have quite the same meaning to Rachel Watts again...



Okay, there has to be something in the water in the land Down Under because every novel I've read by an Australian young adult author (e.g., Melina Marchetta, Jaclyn Moriarty, Cath Crowley) were fantastic, well-written read. Every Breath was no different. I'm giving it

I knew I was going to love Every Breath and I was right. It's actually one of those books where I love it so much that I have a hard time putting my love for the book into words. So, if this review is wonky and does not really make sense, well, basically I want you to get out there and get your hands on this book because it's friggin' good and you need it in your life.

I love Rachel! She's so relatable and... human. She's one of those characters who are imperfectly perfect. She acted her age--made mistakes and bad decisions along the way (she's teen!) but she learned from them. I really enjoyed watching her character develop and grow and mature throughout the novel. Mycroft, too, was fantastic. I wasn't sure of him at first because I had Cumberbatch's Sherlock (because, honestly, he's not that great of friend) in my head and I was wondering how good of a friend he'll be to Rachel. But he's the best! He was eccentric and self-centered like Cumberbatch's Sherlock but he was never mean or a jerk.

I love Rachel and Mycroft's dialogue. I love the sexual tension between them, which was present right from the very first chapter, when Rachel was cleaning up Mycroft's bloody face--at that scene I was full on shipping the two of them. But most of all I love their friendship. I love that it was already established that they're best friends. If you visit this blog enough, you know that I like my romances and I like them big and all-encompassing. However, in Every Breath it's more a slow burn with lots of fantastic, tangible sexual tension. I was fine with that--my favorite was actually watching their friendship and partnership slowly become more

I also enjoyed the secondary characters, especially Mai, Gus and Rachel's brother Mike. They added to the story. I also appreciated that Rachel's parents were there and involved in their children's lives.

The mystery really keeps you on your toes. I was right there with Rachel and Mycroft as they investigated and gathered clues and tried to figure things out. We also get some really grisly scenes from the murder but nothing too crazy. The author did a good job keeping up the suspense because the feeling of danger and fear was evident and I was glued to the pages. I was able to work out the mystery before the end of the novel but that's just how I am when reading a whodunit novel. My mind constantly works putting together the clues. However, my figuring out the mystery early did not deter my enjoyment of the novel--I was still too way into the book.

Overall, there's nothing to dislike and everything to love about Every Breath. Fleshed out, realistic characters, a riveting mystery, excellently written and just a totally absorbing read. I cannot gush about it enough. Rereading this review, everything I wrote feels so trite but I really don't have the words--I'm not eloquent enough. Just: YOU NEED TO READ EVERY BREATH. Seriously. 

I am so excited for book 2, Every Word. I need it in my life right now. Anyone from Australia can get me a copy? Because I am way too impatient to wait another year for it to release here in the US. 

*******

If you guys haven't already, you can 

For more info about author Ellie Marney, Every Breath and the rest of the books in the series, you can visit her website and chat with her on Facebook and Twitter.

Happy reading,
Michelle

1 comment

  1. I'm intrigued by this book as well, although I'm having a bit of a problem with the fact that she has a boyfriend.. hmm, but this one's on my radar still so we'll see lol :) Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my WoW last week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.