Series Review: The 100 + Day 21 by Kass Morgan

Format: Paperback/Hardback
Publisher: LBYR
Pages: 300+ pages
Release Date: 9/3/2014 (The 100); 9/16/2014 (Day 21)
Source of my copy: FSB Media
Series: The 100 #1 and #2
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.
Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.



**Minor spoilers.

I decided to share my thoughts about The 100 and its sequel The 100: Day 21 on the same post because I actually prefer my series books to be reviewed together. It's not always possible though because oftentimes I get the books a year in between. This time I was fortunate to get both of the books at the same time.

Before I get into my review, my rating for The Hundred series is

If you didn't know The 100 is a TV show on the CW. I've never seen an entire episode of the show but I had watched clips of it and it looked really good. Actually, now that I've read the books, I'm not surprise that this series picked up and made into a TV show because the premise very TV-ready.

Many years ago, humans were forced to abandon a very toxic Earth. They've been living on a spaceship but after centuries it's starting to break down. The leaders of the spaceship decided to send delinquent teens (one hundred of them to be exact) to Earth and to be, basically, be guinea pigs. If they live, it means the Earth is safe for inhabitants again. If they die, well...

The series followed four teens: Clarke, Bellamy and Wells who were on Earth and Glass who got away at the last minute and stayed on the spaceship. With these four we see what was going on both on Earth and back on the spaceship. But I never really felt connected to any of the characters. None of the character had any real depth to them. Their reactions to the situations they found themselves in were what you'd expect their type of character would make. 

But despite the stock characters, I was madly flipping the pages in both novels. There was always something happening. I'd get really into it and not realize that it's been an hour already and I've read an X amount of pages. Both novels were highly addicting! I read each book within a day. And I read The 100 and Day 21 back to back, which was very unusual for me. Usually, I need to read other books in between series books because I get bored if I spend too long in the same world with the same characters (this is the reason why I can't really marathon series).

I were to choose which character I enjoyed most, it'd be Wells because he annoyed me the least. He was the most level-headed out of the four of them and the one who didn't overreact. Unlike Clarke, who for a supposed cool-headed scientist, was the queen of over-reaction. If you read the series, let's chat about the whole Wells, Clarke and Bellamy triangle in the comments. And Clarke's overblown reactions to Wells when he was just trying to help (poor guy!). I was so happy when Sasha came into the picture for Wells because I couldn't stand Clarke.

I was ready to give this series a 4-star rating if it weren't for the freaking flashbacks. ARGH!! Just when something was about to happen and I was glued to the pages, a damn flashback came on and I was all NO!!! Fine, some (not all--actually, there were a few that I felt were unnecessary and were just fillers) of the flashback gave us insights and answer the "why" of a character's actions/thoughts but don't stick it in the middle of the damn action. There were so many flashbacks in The 100, practically at every chapter. There was less in Day 21 and I think that's the reason why I liked it a bit more than The 100.

I could go on but I've blabbed on long enough already. Read the The Hundred series! Or add it to your list of reading-funk breaker for its very addicting quality. The books are not the best written YA out there--meaning they won't be winning any awards for their lyrical quality or whatever, but heck if they weren't a fun, fast-paced reads. There was always something going on and you end up getting sucked in to the characters' drama. Oh, and if you're a fan of the movie Titanic with Kate and Leo, there were scenes towards the end of Day 21 that were right out of the movie. If there are more books in the series after Day 21 (and there could very well be--so far none are listed on Goodreads), I'm definitely going to be picking them up. And, as soon as I find a place to watch the TV show from the very beginning, I going to start watching the show.

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.