Review: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Atria
Pages: 322 pages
Release Date: August 5, 2014
Source of my copy: bought
Series: n/a
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.
Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.
They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.
Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.



As soon as I got my hands on this, I picked it up. From the cover and the description (which was a bit vague), I was expecting dirty hate sex and two characters who'll fight like cats and dogs outside of the bedroom until they developed deeper feelings for each other. Yeah, that was NOT it at all.

Ugly Love was good. I enjoyed it a lot but I don't love it.

The story alternates between Tate in the present and Miles six years in the past before he met Tate. We're actually getting two stories: Tate and Miles in the present told through Tate's first person POV and Miles and his relationship with Rachel six years ago told through his first person POV--for some reason his POV in this weird centered format. In the present, Miles was a broken man and we slowly find out in his chapters how he got that way. His and Rachel's story was heartbreaking. By the end of the novel, you understand why he was the way he was and I felt sorry for him.

But Tate in the present was not getting the information about Miles that we are getting. Sure, he never "lied" to her since he stated what he wanted in the beginning, which was that she not question his past or expect a future--it was to be a strictly friends (except they're "not friends") with benefits sort of deal. Miles in the present was closed off, ran hot and cold and he constantly pushed Tate away only to pull her back in again. If you skipped all of the Miles chapters, what he did to Tate in the present wouldn't be so easily dismissable.

But since, as a reader, you're getting him at his best when you switch to his perspective you just kind of feel bad for the guy. I put myself in Tate's character though, and she knew basically nothing about him, and I wanted to shake her silly out of her "liquid" haze about this guy who was essentially not treating her all that well. But she just took all of his shit like a doormat; she took his scraps that he gave her like a sad puppy. She didn't have much self-respect for most of the book so it's hard to respect her.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it a lot. It was just that I couldn't fully stand behind Tate and Miles' characters. It all came together in the end, though. I loved the epilogue, which tied that story into such a nice, satisfying ending. I liked that we even got a chapter told through Rachel's eyes. I found her character the most fascinating of all, actually. Hopefully, Hoover will release a novella of some sort to tell her story after she and Miles broke apart and how she healed.

Oh, FYI, there were quite a number of smexy scenes--more than the usual you'd find in Hoover's previous books. While Ugly Love was no where close to Fifty Shades or Crossfire series, it's steamier that the typical NA novel, which I didn't mind at all.


4 comments

  1. Great review, I totally agree with you. I didn't love it but I did like it. I was rather frustrated with Tate because she did go into the "relationship" with the idea and hoping of something more. I felt like she went in knowing full well that the end it wouldn't end well for her and got angry and Miles when he even told her not to expect anything else.


    I loved the switching perspective because we get to see that little extra insight that the other characters may not get so we're constantly internally screaming at the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a small preview of the book and from what I read, I agree with you. It is hard to fully stand by either of the characters.
    I'm looking forward to reading more of this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have guessed the story would have been like you thought it would be based on the synopsis too. The real story on the other hand doesn't appeal to me very much, so thanks for the review. I don't like reading stories about these sort of characters. :/


    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen Hoover is a lady I am seeing around a lot lately! All of her books are getting so much hype!

    I totally get what you mean when you say you couldn't stand behind the characters. Although this is not a deal breaker for me, it will always leave a funny feeling in my stomach while i am reading!

    I am glad you enjoyed this one overall! Great review! :)

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.