Weekly Wrap-up + New Books

Hello everyone,
Summer vacation is over and I officially go back to work this coming Monday--new grade level (2nd grade), new classroom and new students. Wish me luck!

In terms of books, we did pretty well last week. Leslie and I each posted a review and I finished a very excellent chick lit (Arranged by Catherine McKenzie) that is now sitting on my favorites shelf.

Review: Sekret by Lindsay Smith
Leslie really loved this one. It's set in Communist Russia and it's about a girl who has a psychic ability and was forced by the KGB to spy for them.

Book I Covet: Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman
Sequel to Seraphina! I need this book NAO.

Review: Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan
Stand-up comedian Jim Gaffigan's adventures in fatherhood.


Leslie: I'm still reading Haze (The Rephaim #2) by Paula Weston.

Michelle: Getting Played by Lexie Couper



Only two physical books this week.
A Sudden Light by Garth Stein (for review)
The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas (bought)

Then, we got several eARCs via Netgalley because I "attended" School Library Journal's annual Summer Teen event, which is a conference that was entirely online. 
The Name of the Blade by Zoe Marriott
Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire
Evil Librarian by Michelle Knudsen

The Secret Sky by Atia Abawi
Like No Other by Una LaMarche

I also bought a book that had been in my wish list for a long time it's about lawyers and childhood frenemies (two things I'm crazy about in romance novels). The e-book was only 99 cents so I picked it up.
Legal Briefs (Lawyers in Love #3) by N.M. Silber (bought)

What new books did you guys get? I wanna see! Leave your STS* link so I can come gush over them.

Happy reading,
Michelle


*Stacking the Shelves, or STS, is hosted by Tynga's Reviews

10 comments

  1. Awww, sorry to hear that summer vacation is over! Back to work sucksss D: But new books is a good thing! I have yet to grab a copy of The Assassin's Blade, I should fix that :o I hope you enjoy all of your new books!


    Have a fabulous weekend!


    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your school goes back way early! We still have 4 weeks left. Of course I've only had a week off because I worked summer school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not watched stand up comedy other than on TV but this book must be more about his children and his experiences with them I think. Light reading is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Assassin's Blade is so good! I read that one earlier this month and I absolutely loved it. :) Good luck with your new classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica @ a GREAT readJuly 27, 2014 at 5:18:00 AM PDT

    OOh nice! Lots of new to me ones here! Hope you both enjoy them all!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. kirstymariejonesstudioreadsJuly 27, 2014 at 7:29:00 AM PDT

    Good luck! Ours don't go back here until Sept, only broke up last week, and for a change, it's actually nice weather (okay, not "nice" weather since It's suffocating me, haha) but it usually rains, so yeah. I still need to buy Throne of Glass already, (hopefully soon!) and it also helps that they have awesome covers. :) Happy reading!

    Here's mine


    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your new grade level. We don't start until Aug. 25 with the kids joining us on Sept. 2. I'm trying not to think about it yet. I have so much to do to get ready each year. Come see what I got at Inside of a Dog and Ms. Martin Teaches Media. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got Haze at BEA, but hadn't read the first one, so am offering to trade it on YA Book Exchange. I also got Egg and Spoon, love Gregory Maguire! Great haul!
    Check out my STS

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I not know about the lawyers in love series?? I am a failure as an attorney haha

    Evil Librarian looks really good! My friend is a new 2nd grade teacher this year too

    Happy Reading!

    My Weekly Wrap up Post

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice haul this weeks! I recently read, and am currently working on my review for, The Assassin's Blade. I am obsessed with that series and that book was amazing. It said 5 novellas but it basically tells one whole story and it was so good. I hope you enjoy all of your books this week :) Here's my STS.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.