Speedy Reviews: What I Thought Was True, The Geography of You and Me + The Selection

Hello everyone,
Today I'll be speed reviewing three books: two contemporary YA and one dystopian.




Publisher: Dial
Pages: 416 pages
Release Date: April 15, 2014
Source of my copy: ARC via publisher
Summary (for full synopsis visit Goodreads)
Seventeen-year-old Gwen Castle is a working-class girl determined to escape her small island town, but when rich-kid Cass Somers, with whom she has a complicated romantic history, shows up, she's forced to reassess her feelings about her loving, complex family, her lifelong best friends, her wealthy employer, the place she lives, and the boy she can't admit she loves.
Michelle's Thoughts:
What I Thought Was True was hands-down the best YA novel I read this summer. The beginning was a little shaky and I got confused trying to figure what exactly happened to Gwen and Cass, and the whole Spence and Alex thing and what exactly went down, but, really, that was minor.

I loved Fitzpatrick's debut novel My Life Next Door and I eagerly waited for her sophomore novel. I knew it was going to be fantastic and I was right. But while My Life Next Door was all about the swoon factor of falling in love and first love, What I Thought Was True hit closer to home because I relate to Gwen and her family so much. Our working-class families are constantly trying to make ends meet; Gwen's mom and my mom are both housekeepers; her brother has a disability and so does mine, etc.

I think the way teenage sexuality was presented in this novel was refreshingly open and realistic.

And Cass. Oh, he was such a sweetheart. I loved him! I may even love him slightly more than Jace Garrett.


Publisher: Poppy
Pages: 337 pages
Release Date: April 15, 2014
Source of my copy: eARC via Netgalley/publisher
Summary (for full synopsis visit Goodreads)
Sparks fly when sixteen-year-old Lucy Patterson and seventeen-year-old Owen Buckley meet on an elevator rendered useless by a New York City blackout. Soon after, the two teenagers leave the city, but as they travel farther away from each other geographically, they stay connected emotionally, in this story set over the course of one year.
Michelle's Thoughts:
The Geography of You and Me book didn't resonate with me as Jennifer E. Smith's other books did, but it was still really good. One night brought Lucy and Own together, and despite the months, the ocean and the many states and countries, new experiences, as well as other [romantic] relationships along the way they still found a way to get back to each other. This novel was so dreamy and romantic, well-written and very quotable. Take this gem for example:

Sometimes it seemed as if his whole life was an exercise in waiting; not waiting to leave, exactly, but simply waiting to go. He felt like one of those fish that had the capacity to grow in unimaginable ways if only the tank were big enough. But his tank had always been small, and as much as he loved his home- as much as he loved his family- he'd always felt himself bumping up against the edges of his own life.


That was exactly how I felt pre-college, but here, stated in such a brilliant way. There were so many other quotes too that perfectly described how I felt at the characters' age.

Then, why the 3.5 stars? Well, I just didn't connect with Lucy and Owen the way I wanted to. I didn't quite feel the chemistry between them... maybe because they spent too much time apart? The love story between Lucy and Oliver had this epic-ness to it (despite the months, being oceans and continents apart, tribulations, etc.) that didn't quite deliver. I wasn't as satisfied after I finished reading this novel the way I wanted to be after reading a good romantic story. It was missing... something.



Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 327 pages
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Source of my copy: bought
Summary (for full synopsis visit Goodreads)
Sixteen-year-old America Singer is living in the caste-divided nation of Illéa, which formed after the war that destroyed the United States. America is chosen to compete in the Selection--a contest to see which girl can win the heart of Illéa's prince--but all she really wants is a chance for a future with her secret love, Aspen, who is a caste below her
Michelle's Thoughts:
I thought I could breeze through The Selection in one day. Nope. It took me three days to read this thing because I was just not compelled to pick it up after I put it down. Overall, this book was just okay.

America Singer (WTF kind of name is that?!) was an annoying brat and had me rolling my eyes throughout the book. The love triangle was ridiculous--Aspen walked all over America and Maxon was too nice and just took America's annoying antics. I didn't feel much chemistry between America and any of the two boys. The writing felt juvenile.

Do I want to read The Elite (book 2)? I don't know. I own it (as well as book three
The One) and I am challenging myself to finish an entire series this year so... maybe. I have to be in the mood for it, or I think I'm going to need to read some really positive reviews of The Elite to get excited and motivated to pick it up.

Have a great weekend and happy reading,
Michelle

6 comments

  1. What I Thought Was True sounds like a wonderful, realistic YA read. So glad you enjoyed! LOL, I actually enjoyed The Selection, but I was completely in the mood for it as a light read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aly @ My Heart Hearts BooksJuly 18, 2014 at 9:22:00 AM PDT

    I wanted to like WITWT and I think I did but barely. It didn't have the same spark that I expected from Huntley Fitzpatrick. && I actually really like the Selection. I loved America's choice at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that quote was awesome. It actually made me consider read TSPOYAM and then reading TGOYAM, which I never considered because I'm not a big contemporary reader.


    I agree with how you felt about The Selection. I've only read that one because I got so annoyed with the characters and hated the ending when *spoiler* Aspen returned *end of spoiler*.


    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Selection was the best of the trilogy, so if you didn't like it, I probably wouldn't bother with the others. I can't wait to read What I Thought Was True. I also want to read The Geography of Me and You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was once a day when I wanted to try out The Selection. But I have read so many negative review that I don't think the book stands a chance with me!

    I read My Life Next Door a couple of months ago and I loved the bones off of that book! I can't wait to pick up this one! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ps: Love the idea of quickie reviews! I love getting so many opinions on one post! :3 xxx

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read The Selection and it just didn't work for me either. You're right there was no chemistry. I heard the books get a little better so I may try and finish the series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.