Thursday, July 10, 2014

Format: Paperback
Publisher: William Morrow PB
Pages: 304 pages
Release Date: July 8, 2014
Source of my copy: ALA Conference/publisher
Series: Boomerang #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Welcome to Boomerang.com, the dating site for the millennial gen with its no-fuss, no-commitments matchups, and where work is steamier than any random hook-up
Mia Galliano is an aspiring filmmaker. Ethan Vance has just played his last game as a collegiate soccer star. They’re sharp, hungry for success, and they share a secret.
Last night, Ethan and Mia met at a bar, and, well . . . one thing led to another, which led to them waking up the next morning—together. Things turned awkward in a hurry when they found themselves sharing a post hookup taxi . . . to the same place: Boomerang headquarters.
What began as a powerful connection between them is treated to a cold shower courtesy of two major complications. First, Boomerang has a strict policy against co-worker dating. And second, they’re now competitors for only one job at the end of summer.
As their internships come to an end, will they manage to keep their eyes on the future and their hands off each other, or will the pull of attraction put them right back where they started?



I was very excited to read Boomerang (I posted about my excitement for this book here a few weeks ago) because 1) because it's co-written with Veronica Rossi who wrote the YA novel Under the Never Sky which I really liked, 2) the plot is reminiscent of one of my favorite romance of all time, Julie James' Practice Makes Perfect, and 3) a few people I follow on Twitter who got to read it way before the pub date were talking about how good it is. The first 19 chapters were free before the book officially came out but I wanted to get my hands on the whole thing. A publicist was nice enough to approve me for an eARC but when I went to the ALA conference I made it my mission to get a physical copy. And I did!

I'm glad I read Boomerang. I enjoyed it a lot but I had certain expectations about how Mia and Ethan were going to connect and it just didn't happen. I wasn't exactly disappointed that my expectations weren't met because the story was fine as it was. But I had it built up in my head and I was waiting for things to happen that didn't and I felt somewhat let down.

Okay, what I loved about Boomerang were Ethan and Mia. They were great individuals. Mia was the kind of girl I wanted to be in my early twenties. Yeah, she had her moments of doubts, such as if she'll ever be as great as her famous photographer mother, and she had her boy problems, but overall, she had self-confidence, was very comfortable in her skin and she was secure about who she was and her passion for film.

Ethan was the ultimate nice guy. He may even have been too perfect... I'm trying to think of a character flaw and I can't come up with anything. He was hot (of course!) but besides that he worked hard, he coached a youth soccer team, he had a great relationship with his parents... he was just a really decent, stand-up guy. Alison, his ex-girlfriend who cheated on him was a fool for cheating on him! And unlike the typical NA male, he does not have a deep, dark past he had to get over. Same goes for Mia--with the exception of watching her beloved grandmother succumb to Alzheimer, she's a happy girl.

So, the premise of the novel is that Ethan and Mia met at a bar, got really drunk and hooked up. Mia woke up the next morning at Ethan's place, next to Ethan naked, and realized she's late for her first day at her new internship. She soon learned that the guy she woke up next to was doing the same internship at Boomerang (a dating website company) and they have to compete for the one job opening at the end of their internship. The internship also had a strict no dating policy within the company but Mia and Ethan had this deep connection with each other that they couldn't shake--it was beyond simple attraction. The word for that kept popping into my head for the two was "soulmate."

As I've mentioned, I thought I was getting a Practice Makes Perfect sort of story. If you don't know, Practice Makes Perfect is about two top lawyers who are competing to be chosen to make partner at the law firm they both work at. In front of their colleagues, they acted very professional and civil towards each other, but behind closed doors there were a lot smart banter and shenanigans as they tried to one-up each other. But underneath all the bickering, they were undeniably attracted to each other. I was expecting the same in Boomerang between Mia and Ethan. I thought I was going to get the same battle-of-the-sexes-laced-with-humor sort of deal. But it wasn't like that with Mia and Ethan. There wasn't any one-up-manship and they basically try to keep away for each other despite being attracted like magnets. Their whole deal was more serious in tone rather than humorous. Like I said, they were soulmates, but tried to stay apart for the sake of winning the job at the end of their internship. It was actually kind of painful as a reader to see them apart when you know they should be together.

I did really enjoy Boomerang. I adored Mia and Ethan's characters, the pacing of the story was well done and I liked its dual perspective. I liked knowing what the other was thinking and the characters' voices were distinct enough that I always knew whose head I was in. Boomerang had a lot of sweet and swoony moments that satisfied my romantic heart. And unlike Colleen Hoover's Hopeless, Boomerang will not leave you drained and exhausted from all the heavy emotions. If you like NA that is much lighter in tone like I do, similar to Sophie Jordan's Tease or Lisa Desrocher's A Little Too Far, then you will like Boomerang. I am very excited to find out who the next couple will be in the next book in the series. I'll certainly be picking up book 2.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.