Review: Delectable by Adrianne Lee

Format: E-ARC
Publisher: Forever/Hachette
Pages: 256 pages
Release Date: Sept. 3, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Big Sky Pie #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Montana real estate agent Quint McCoy will tell you that the most important thing is location, location, location. It's a lesson he learns all too well when he goes incommunicado for a four-week fishing trip to Alaska. While he's away, his mother Molly turns his office into the pie shop she has always dreamed of, Big Sky Pie. But that's not the only surprise in store for him.
On her way out of town, Callee McCoy only wants to say a fond farewell to her beloved mother-in-law. But Molly soon persuades Callee to stay and lend a hand at the new shop, even if it means heating up the kitchen with her soon-to-be ex. As Callee and Quint rediscover their recipe for love, they realize that some couples are so sinfully good together that one delectable taste is never enough...


Warning: This is going to be rant-y and there will be MAJOR spoilers.

A small-town romance, an almost divorced couple possibly (or likely, since it's a romance novel) having second-chance at love (my favorite romantic trope!) and pies! I thought, yeah, this is going to be good. I was wrong.

After I finished reading Delectable, my first thought was what the heck did I just read?

I did not feel any connection with Callee and Quint at all. I think they were in their early thirties but they acted much younger than their age--like immature teenagers.

Okay, I'm going to be blunt. I really, really disliked Quint. The reason for their separation (which happened before the story began) was that his father died suddenly and, because he's a workaholic, he was overcome with sadness and guilt that he didn't spend time with his dad before. But rather than going to his wife so they can grieve together, he instead went fishing by himself at an unknown location and did not talk to anymore for a month. But he can be redeemed, right? Nope.

The big conflict in the novel was that Callee and Quint had to work together to find someone who can bake a pie as well as Quint's mom (who suffered a heart attack after finding out that Callee and Quint were divorcing) for this pre-opening event for the pie shop. It turned out that Quint could bake a pie that was even better than his mom's. But did he step up to do it? Oh no, because he was teased in middle school for making a pie he couldn't possibly bake five or six measly pies to save his mom's business. Seriously?! He could've bake those freakin' pies and never had to bake again if he didn't want to. He didn't even have to say he baked them if he was so scared of being teased. But, geez, he's an adult now and it's the year 2014--being a man who can bake pies is considered sexy these days. Not one thing he did in the novel made me change my mind about him.

As for Callee, her character was ridiculous too. I didn't know what she saw in Quint. That he's supposedly hot? Urgh. And then her big dream was to go to culinary school and be a chef. Her classes were actually about to start when she fell in love at first sight with Quint. But she didn't tell Quint about her dream because she was afraid he'd laugh at her. Really?! She couldn't tell her husband her one big aspiration in life? But then again I didn't understand why she wanted to be a chef so badly because she has a kitchen phobia. The girl could barely boil water and she wants to go to cooking school. WTF??

The entire novel was so unbelievable, filled with weak characters and silly plot lines. I really don't know why I kept reading until the very end. Maybe I was waiting for some grand gesture from Quint to win back Callee and show her that he was sorry for leaving her and being a workaholic douche even before his father's death? Nope, did not get that either. He did nothing proactive about getting her back after she finally left him for culinary school, except be all depressed and cry to his mother that she left him. Callee was the one who went back to Quint and I lost what little respect I had for her.

Here's the a snippet of the last scene.


Urgh. I wanted him to grovel, damn it! I didn't feel that any of their marital problems were really solved by the end. The entire novel was just blah.

Delectable did make me hungry for some sweet cherry pie so that's something. Or not. Skip this one.

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.