Speedy Reviews: Ditched, Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals

Hello everyone,
Today I'll be speed reviewing three books I read recently, like, within the last month. Coincidentally, they're all published by Disney. Cool.




Publisher: Disney
Pages: 275 pages
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Source of my copy: bought
Summary (for full synopsis visit Goodreads)
When high school student Justina ends up in a ditch in the middle of the night after prom, she stumbles to a nearby 7-Eleven where she tries to recall exactly how she got there.
Michelle's Thoughts:
I remember really wanting to get my hands on Ditched when it first came out back in 2012. I think I requested it for review from the publisher but I didn't get a copy. I kept the title at the back of my mind, though, because the plot sounded really fun and funny. And I wanted to know how Justina ended up in a 7-Eleven dateless, with prom dress stained and ruined.

When I saw it for cheap online, I bought it and read it one afternoon. Maybe I built it up in my head but Ditched left me feeling meh after I read the last page. The storyline was unrealistic, with dramatic turn of events. I liked it and enjoyed well enough but it didn't make me laugh as much as I thought it would.

I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I didn't really care if Justina's white knight, Ian, showed up by the end of the novel with a grand gesture. I did like the friendship she formed with the two ladies at 7-Eleven as she told them about her knight.

Ultimately, I wasn't disappointed but Ditched was just one of those one those mindless reads that didn't roused anything from me. It was just an okay read.


Publisher: Disney
Pages: 287 pages
Release Date: February 9, 2010
Source of my copy: bought
Summary (for full synopsis visit Goodreads)
A group of teenagers uses their combined talents to re-steal several priceless paintings and save fifteen-year-old Kat Bishop's father, himself an international art thief, from a vengeful collector.
Michelle's Thoughts:
Heist Society was another one of those "just okay" read.

I have had Heist Society on my bookshelf for years until I finally picked it up a few weeks ago. I was really excited to read it. My expectations were high to say the least because I've read many glowing reviews about Carter's books. And a group of teens pull a heist to steal priceless works of art Ocean's Eleven-style?! What's not to love?

Well, I was underwhelmed. I took me a bit to get used to Carter's voice--I was expecting a quirky, snarky voice and instead I got a flat, semi-wordy voice. From the description, I was expecting a sassy heroine with a slightly sarcastic-y voice. I was expecting a group of eccentric, slightly weird but brilliant group of thieves. There was some eccentricity and weirdness and brilliance but it didn't come through enough. The characters felt flat with no real zest to them and what they were doing. And I didn't feel any true connection to any of the characters.

Also, if you prefer YA novels with considerable romance, look elsewhere. There was romantic tension between Kat and Hale, but that was all. Just tension. I don't think they even kissed.

However, I did enjoy Heist Society enough to go on with the series. There were some very interesting, exciting parts. I wanted to see if they'd pull the heist off and the twists and turns kept things going that I was able to look past the bland-ish characters.



Publisher: Disney
Pages: 298 pages
Release Date: June 21, 2011
Source of my copy: bought
Summary (for full synopsis visit Goodreads)
Fifteen-year-old Kat Bishop and her fellow talented teenagers work together to find and steal the "Cleopatra Emerald" from an unscrupulous dealer and return it to its rightful owner, while a former love of her Uncle Eddie tries to get the gem for herself.
Michelle's Thoughts:
I liked Uncommon Criminals much more than Heist Society. I was able to connect more with the characters, Kat and Hale especially. The new heist/adventure in this novel was just as twisty and exciting as the one in Heist Society and I was dying to know how everything will work out.

My biggest complaint from Heist Society was that the characters came off flat. In Uncommon Criminals, they (most especially Kat) came off more lively and animated. Kat was speaking up, making mistakes, learning from her mistakes and wanting to make right.

My only big issue was that I wanted more sweet moments between Kat and Hale and for them to be together, together. Talk about slow burn... well, that's Kat and Hale. But as much as I want them to get together already and have a grand romance, I did enjoy their friendship and that Hale had Kat's back no matter what.

Uncommon Criminals restored my interest in this series. I'm not in a big hurry to pick up book 3, Perfect Scoundrels, but I am definitely going to be reading it.

Happy reading,
Michelle

2 comments

  1. I love Heist Society. But I think probably it was a book that was just okay. Will probably never read further in the series. The others books I have not read. Fine reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thrust of events gets going chanel replica between the two men over the death that Blackbeard caused of a fellow mate named Thatch, a story I do not know http://www.otxarkoaga.org/spothandbags.aspx or have seen in the episodes I've watched so far, so it's not a piece that has huge connection for me. Whitebeard's intensity seems hermes outlet stronger here than it was during the rescue of Ace as he fully separates everyone of his crew from his side so he can go against Blackbeard, something Blackbeard fendi replica accommodates well as the two stand off easily with a whole lot of darkness swarming around them. It's an intriguing fight to watch simply because of Blackbeard's confidence in combination http://www.cityofwestwego.com/home.asp with his power that nullifies other Devil Fruit powers. But also on the emotional level since Blackbeard is still considered one of Whitebeard's sons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.