Thursday, April 3, 2014

Hi everyone,
I read The Immortal Rules in October last year and I've been meaning to review it, but I hesitate to call this post a review because it's not.

This isn't so much a review than just a rambling of my thoughts about the novel. If you're unsure whether to pick up The Immortal Rules or not, look elsewhere because I'm not going to be helpful at all.

Here are all the info. Scroll down for all my ramblings. Happy reading! :)
________


Format: E-book/Audiobook
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Pages: 485 pages
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Source of my copy: bought
Series: Blood of Eden #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.
Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for… again.
Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.



I picked up The Immortal Rules as my "book talk" assignment for one of my library school classes. I did my book talk without reading the entire thing (which we weren't supposed to do to) but I had two weeks to read it and it was really hard for me to get into it. After my book talk I did eventually finish the novel but it took me a month to finish the entire thing.

Maybe it's because I haven't been that into paranormal YA for a while now? And I was never attracted to vampire YA books (it's different with paranormal romance because I cannot get enough of Nalini Singh's books).

I don't know. Sigh.

But it's NOT because The Immortal Rules wasn't good. It's not your typical YA paranormal novel with the standard milquetoast heroine and a love triangle a la Twilight. It's an interesting story overall--very dark and very atmospheric. There was a lot of action and fight scenes, a kick-ass heroine and great world building.

The problem was that I just couldn't get into it.

After I put it down I didn't have the strong desire to pick it back up. I couldn't connect with Allison (which is not good because it is told in Allison's first person POV) or any of the other characters. I thought the plot moved too slow despite the many (often with blood and gore) action scenes.

The Immortal Rules wasn't a bad book. Like I said, I thought the plot was interesting. It actually kept me guessing of where it was going to go. It just wasn't my kind of book--this was me trying to read outside my typical romantic contemporary YA and I dragged myself in reading it.

While I have no desire to pick up book 2, I cannot say I'll never pick it up. I think if I was in the right mood (like, if I was craving a paranormal YA read--which sometimes it happens!), I would've enjoyed The Immortal Rules a lot more.

I have to mention, though, that I purchased The Immortal Rules in both the Kindle e-book and Audible audiobook combination and synced them. The narrator for the audiobook, Therese Plummer, was EXCELLENT. She really took on the persona of Allison, which was great because of the first person POV. She also did a great job with the voices of the different characters and overall brought the story to life. Her narration definitely helped drive me into finishing the novel. 

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy this as much as you wanted! I've been wanting to try Kindle's Whispersync but I've never even tried an audiobook yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes we are not in the mood for certain genres. It has happened to me a lot lately.

    Also, there is noting worse that not connecting with an MC. I think sometimes it is vital for you to enjoy the book.

    Its a shame you did not enjoy this as much you wanted to!

    Have a great week and happy reading! :)

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't like it! I guess personally, I'm an enormous paranormal fan moreso than a paranormal romance fan so this one was great. I love the atmosphere and story, but I understand that sometimes books don't work out for you.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reviews from a BookwormApril 9, 2014 at 2:01:00 PM PDT

    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I currently have this sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read, I've had it for well over a year now lol. Hopefully I will get to it eventually, but I am not in the mood for paranormal atm and don't want to struggle with it. Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.