Review: The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram

Format: Kindle Book
Publisher: Bluefields
Pages: 278 pages
Release Date: May 4, 2013
Source of my copy: bought
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically.
The state science fair is coming up and Avery decides to use her broken heart as the topic of her experiment. She’s going to find the cure. By forcing herself to experience the seven stages of grief through a series of social tests, she believes she will be able to get over Aiden Kennedy and make herself ready to love again. But she can’t do this experiment alone, and her partner (ex partner!) is the one who broke her heart.
Avery finds the solution to her troubles in the form of Aiden’s older brother Grayson. The gorgeous womanizer is about to be kicked off the school basketball team for failing physics. He’s in need of a good tutor and some serious extra credit. But when Avery recruits the lovable Grayson to be her “objective outside observer,” she gets a whole lot more than she bargained for, because Grayson has a theory of his own: Avery doesn’t need to grieve. She needs to live. And if there’s one thing Grayson Kennedy is good at, it’s living life to the fullest.




I kept seeing The Avery Shaw Experiment when I was browsing for my next YA contemporary read on Amazon but I didn't buy it. It sounded like something I'd very much enjoy but 3 bucks for an e-book written by a new-to-me author? No. I thought it was too expensive to give it a chance. But it kept haunting me, always popping up on Amazon and Goodreads as one of the suggested titles so I finally gave in, bought it and crossed my fingers it didn't disappoint.

The verdict: It was just... okay. I am all for a guaranteed romance-y, cutesy happily-ever-after kind of read (which this novel is) but there were just too many things that bothered me for me to fully enjoy it.

First, Grayson's character was too good to be true and too lovestruck silly in my opinion. Grayson's character is too unbelievably gallant for a teenaged boy (especially in that cafeteria scene). And Avery? She basically blushed and cried the entire book and was too much of a wide-eyed, innocent type. I found myself rolling my eyes whenever she cried (which happened a lot). There was too much crying!

Also, the entire book revolved around their science experiment/case study. Avery was trying to prove that a person goes through the seven stages of grief to get over a heartbreak with herself as the test subject and Grayson as the supposed “objective outside observer.” Umm... yeah. It's not good science and I didn't buy it. It was too subjective, there was no control subject and I'm sure you need more than one test subject for the results to be valid.

There were some funny parts and sweet parts and they were great. But the not-so-great outweighed the not-so-bad parts. If you're in the mood for a cute, mindless fluff of a read (where you don't think too hard) then you might enjoy it. Unfortunately, it required too much suspension of disbelief for me.

3 comments

  1. Aly @ My Heart Hearts BooksMarch 25, 2014 at 5:39:00 PM PDT

    Oh. I love a good romantic contemporary YA but I like it to have some sparkle and magic. I feel like based off what you said, it's all glittery sparkle but not really much substance. Maybe I'll cross path with TASE in the future but for right now I'm going to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for trying a new-to-you author. I'm sorry that the leap of faith didn't work out too too well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this book, but I agree that the science project was really inaccurate. I would've thought that for a so-called science geek, Avery would have done a much better job of a science fair project.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.