Monday, March 3, 2014

Hello everyone,

When my sister suggested that I read Tin Star, I was a little wary. I'm not a huge science fiction fan and I've never read anything by Cecil Castellucci before, but since the blurb sounded promising, I figured I'd try it and read Tin Star.

I didn't finish it. Yup, I DNF-ed it. Sigh.

Before I get into why, here's the synopsis.
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Pages: 234 pages
Release Date: February 25, 2014
Source of my ARC copy: publisher
On their way to start a new life, Tula and her family travel on the Prairie Rose, a colony ship headed to a planet in the outer reaches of the galaxy. All is going well until the ship makes a stop at a remote space station, the Yertina Feray, and the colonist's leader, Brother Blue, beats Tula within an inch of her life. An alien, Heckleck, saves her and teaches her the ways of life on the space station. When three humans crash land onto the station, Tula's desire for escape becomes irresistible, and her desire for companionship becomes unavoidable. But just as Tula begins to concoct a plan to get off the space station and kill Brother Blue, everything goes awry, and suddenly romance is the farthest thing from her mind.

For the first few pages, I thought, "Okay, this is pretty good. I can like it," but as I continued reading, I grew less and less interested. I was bored by the main character Tula, who seemed too naive for her own good; I felt like the beginning dragged as Tula, in practically every chapter, visited a new place or room and met different aliens, who cared not a cat's eye for her; and I was unmoved by the writing, which may not have been a problem if the other problems I had only 40 pages in did not arise. I couldn't get into Tin Star, let alone tolerate the story to the end, that I eventually just avoided it, feeling completely reluctant to continue reading.

But I must admit, maybe my dislike of Tin Star was a result of what kind of personal state I was in while reading it. During the week I read Tin Star, I was overwhelmed by schoolwork and college prep that my stress came to a point where I couldn't even let myself read and relax for even just a few minutes. I was in a terrible reading slum, and with my personal preferences, Tin Star was not helping me get out of it. With that said, maybe my mental state was what caused me to not give Tin Star the justice it deserved.

So, although I couldn't get through Tin Star and didn't finish it, it doesn't mean that others will not enjoy Tin Star as well. I believe that if you're a reader who loves science fiction and/or has previously liked Castellucci's books, then I recommend that you check out Tin Star.

However, if you're still wary about the book after reading this review, here's the opening of Tin Star for you to test the waters out for yourself:

[This is an ARC. The final copy may be different from what is pictured above.]

This reader and this reader and this one too gave Tin Star a good review on Goodreads. Check them out. Have you read Tin Star? What did you think of it?

Happy reading,
Leslie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.