Review: Three Broken Promises by Monica Murphy

Format: e-ARC
Publisher: Bantam
Pages: 304 pages
Release Date: December 31, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher via Edelweiss
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Commitment. That’s what I really want from Colin. Ever since my brother, Danny, died in Iraq, Colin’s done so much to help me, including giving me a job at his popular restaurant so I can leave my crappy waitressing job at the strip joint. But lying in bed with him every night to comfort him from his horrible nightmares isn’t enough anymore. I know he feels guilty about Danny’s death, about not going to Iraq, but I can’t keep living this double life.
I love him desperately, but he’s got so many demons, and if he can’t open up to me now, then he’ll never be the real partner I need him to be. I gave him a month, and now I’m out of here. If he truly loves me like he says, he knows where to find me.



I really enjoyed One Week Girlfriend and Second Chance Boyfriend (they weren't the best NA I've read but they were super addicting and I gobbled both up one after the other). I was expecting that same addicting readability in Three Broken Promises.

Sadly, it was not so.

We met Colin and Jen, the two main characters of Three Broken Promises, in Second Chance Boyfriend and there were some big sparks between the two of them. It was hinted that they share a history that had to do with Jen's brother. I was dying to know more and when I learned that Colin and Jen were getting their own book, I was really excited.

As soon as I saw Three Broken Promises on Edelweiss I pounced and as soon as I got approved, I started reading. But I quickly grew frustrated and annoyed; I wanted to throw my Kindle against the wall. The story didn't go anywhere. The entire novel was basically the following over and over:

Jen: I'm leaving because I'm tired of Colin's charity.

Colin: I want Jen to stay.

Make-out session.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Like in the previous books in the series, we have alternating first person point of view. I really like dual POVs in books and I looked forward to getting into the head of both characters. But Colin and Jen... ARGH!!... Jen made some really dumb decisions. I wanted to slap some sense into this girl--I'm surprised she's still alive because she really had no common sense. As for Colin, his reason for not telling Jen his true feelings for her was lame and weak. Really, all of their problems would have been quickly resolved if they just sat down and talked. Instead there was no communication and the same issues just went around and around and nowhere.

I was bored after the first few chapters. I only reason whey I didn't DNF this book was sheer stubbornness for wanting to finish every book I start. And I might also have some tiny hope that Colin and Jen might finally sit down and talk and they'll redeem themselves in the last third of the book.

Nope. Didn't happen.

By the time they got around to finally talking, I was over it and stopped caring.

I don't know if I'm going to read the next full book in the series (which will focus on Fable's brother) after this one. However, I am not giving up on Monica Murphy just yet. I may not continue with this series but I am going to try her other series called the Billionaire Bachelors Club.

Skip Three Broken Promises.

11 comments

  1. I have never read this series. But I really want too. I just need the chance to get my hands on them. ;) Thank you for that chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Cinder AND Scarlet and love them to pieces!! Scarlet is my favourite...Thorne!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read these yet (shame on me, I know), but after everything I'm hearing about them, I'm kind of dying to. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lunar series!! Each chapter is filled with suspense and the multi pov is very interesting and well done. Thank you for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read any of the Lunar series yet

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read Cinder, I really wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but I ended up really enjoying it, and then Scarlet was just AMAZING. Everyone needs to read this series omg <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read the first two books and I can't wait for Cinder! And after that Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read Cinder and Scarlet and I can't wait for Cress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i absolutely LOVE Cinder and Cress and am looking forward to reading Cress

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so so need to read this series! Have heard nothing but good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read all of the books so far in the series. I'm looking forward to Cress!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.