Friday, January 10, 2014

Hello everyone,
I'm back from the Philippines! I will be doing a post about my trip (with pictures!) and the books I read during my stay there next week.

Today I'm doing my Roomies post. Perhaps you've seen Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando's new novel Roomies around? It came out on Dec. 24th. If you haven't here's the synopsis:


It's time to meet your new roomie.

When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.

National Book Award finalist Sara Zarr and acclaimed author Tara Altebrando join forces for a novel about growing up, leaving home, and getting that one fateful e-mail that assigns your college roommate.
In celebration of the recent release of Roomies, the awesome folks at Little Brown Books/Hachette asked that we share a roomie story and I definitely have one... or twenty. I lived in student housing during my undergrad and grad school years and, unfortunately, I have really bad luck with roommates.

In my last semester of grad school I lived in a 2-bedroon suite with two other girls. The two girls were assigned to share one bedroom while I was to share the other one with another girl. But two months into the semester no one moved in with me so I thought I got lucky and have to room to myself for the rest of the semester. Wrong.

Veronica* moved in a couple of days before Halloween and things were okay for a couple of days. And then it was bad. I said she could use my dish soap and she ended up using all of it. She left dirty dishes in the sink for days and days, especially the "community" pots and pans that everyone in the suite uses. And when she finally did the dishes, she leaves food scraps in the sink. Veronica didn't clean up after she cooks. She fries a lot so the stove was always greasy or dotted with sauce. Of course all the mess in the kitchen attracted ants. Argh!

She used so MUCH of toilet paper (toilet paper she didn't contribute any money to)--before she moved in a jumbo roll of toilet paper lasted a week and a half among the three of us. With her, a jumbo roll only lasted three days at the most. When she defrosted her meats she lets the sink run for 30 to 40 minutes, which annoyed me to no end because how wasteful is that!? I told her leaving her frozen meats in warm water and changing it every ten minutes works just as well. Veronica disagreed.

And she was in  our room ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME playing noisy video games or talking to her long-distance boyfriend. On weekdays, I worked two part-time jobs along with taking classes so I would leave at 7 AM and not come home until 8 PM. She'd be there when I leave in the morning and be still in the room when I get home at night. She hardly goes out in the weekends either. This girl is driving me nuts and I never got a break from her.

I was hoping my other roommates would say something because I know she was driving them nuts as well. Nope. Telling her our problems with her fell to awkward, passive-not-very-aggressive, non-confrontational me. One night I finally said all the things (after giving her the silent treatment for two weeks hoping she'd get it). There was a lot of crying (Veronica) and a lot of guilt (me). And then she was good. Well, at least in the kitchen. For a whole week. Then, she went back to her old ways. But by then I was just over it and just counted down to the days til the semester ended and I graduate and will never have to deal with her again.

Sigh.

Hopefully, I'll never be desperate enough have to live in student housing again.

*****
Now, for the fun part! One lucky reader of our blog will win a copy of Roomies! Enter below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The authors of Roomies, Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando, will be on tour starting this coming Saturday! Check it out!
January 12, 2014 – New York, NY: McNally Jackson
January 15, 2014 – Salt Lake City, UT: The King's English
January 16, 2014 – Provo, UT: Provo Library
February 4, 2014 – San Francisco, CA: Books Inc, Opera Plaza
February 5, 2015 – Petaluma, CA: Copperfield's Books

You all can read more about Roomies on the LB Teen page.

Good luck everyone,
Michelle

*name has been changed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.