Friday, December 13, 2013

Format: e-ARC
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 384 pages
Release Date: December 31, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher via Edelweiss
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how. Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how. One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.


The first time I saw the cover of The Promise of Amazing I thought "Ohmigosh, that's so adorable! This is my kind of book." It was love at first sight! When I read the blurb, I was even more excited for the novel: two unlikely teens who find themselves by finding each other? Yes yes yes! 

Needless to say, I had very high expectations when I began reading Robin Constantine's debut novel The Promise of Amazing.

After reading the blurb of The Promise of Amazing, I was expecting one of those slow-burn type of romance between Wren and Grayson (sort of like Anna and Etienne's from Anna and the French Kiss). And because I'm one of those who live for cliche romantic stories the idea of Wren and Grayson, two unlikely people getting together and falling in love, awkwardly meeting, awkwardly trying to deny their feelings for each other, then having all the sweet moments and everything in between... I thought I'd be in reading heaven.

Unfortunately, I was sad to find that Wren and Grayson's relationship was not like how I built it up in my head. While it was not insta-love (well, it was on one of the character's part), I also was not completely convinced by Wren and Grayson's interest in each other. As I read, I couldn't help but feel a bit skeptical every time Grayson and/or Wren expressed his or her love for the other. The things that happened were too dramatic and there wasn't that gradual build up, that slow burn that makes you really believe that the couple are truly falling for each other.

But despite the sort-of insta-love, I was still able to enjoy The Promise of Amazing. I don't know... maybe I just built up the story too much in my head when it wasn't even the story the author was trying to tell. My expectations were too high and unfounded. In hindsight, maybe the way Wren and Grayson's relationship played out was necessary for the pacing of the plot because the plot was really all about Wren and Grayson growing into themselves and all the while falling for each other. Maybe the story would have dragged if it included that slow burn I was hoping for...? I don't know anymore. This whole second guessing myself is driving me nuts. But I gotta say I do wish Wren and Grayson did more things as a couple (sweet, intimate, swoon-y things) and less of all the drama that kept them apart.

Overall, The Promise of Amazing was a super cute, quick read. Although it didn't meet all of my expectations, I enjoyed reading it up to a point. I actually ended up wishing that it was a bit longer just so I can spend more time with Wren and Grayson and see them do all the couple things that I was hoping for.

Check out our Q+A with author Robin Constantine and the rest of the blog tour post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.