Monday, December 16, 2013

Hi bookish peeps,
The flu bug found me and I'm all woozy. Too groggy to write a coherent review but not too befuddled to let you all know that I completed my reading challenge of reading 100 books (the most books I've read in a year since I started blogging). And the year isn't over yet so I can squeeze a few more books!

One hundred (and one) books is a big deal for me. I'm a slow reader and between juggling two part-time jobs, grad school, church and having an actual social life, it takes me at least up to a week to finish one book.

This year I counted audiobooks and that helped a lot since I can "read" while working most days. Here's the breakdown.

And I've very happy about the fact that I read almost as many books that I purchased as review books. The previous years, books I had purchased (book I was very, very excited for and often pre-ordered) were shoved aside in favor of review books because I felt pressured to read them. This year I found a sort of balance and it's great.

I also read more e-books this year than in all previous years and I'm 100% sure that I'll read even more e-books in 2014. When I first started blogging in 2009 (around the time e-readers are gaining popularity), I never thought e-books will be my format of choice because I was convinced e-readers were a fad that will die a quick death. 

Anywho, YAY ME!! 

So, out of the 101 I've read this year (so far--I'm hoping to read at least 5 more books), here are my favorites. And if you're thinking of gifting books to your friends and family, you can't go wrong with these titles.

Top 3 Young Adult Favorites of 2013
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I have no words for TFIOS, really. It's that amazing. It made me cry buckets.
All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
"...one of the all-time best time travel books I've read ever. Yep, it's that good." (My review.)
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
"...superbly written with depth that you do not always find in YA contemporary novels." (My review.)

2013 YA Honorable Mentions
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
I love how Lilac and Tarver's relationship developed. Fantastic read.
Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland
"I quickly devoured this novel and I was really sad to see Cricket go after I finished reading it." (My review.)
The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas
"...very imaginative, romantic and readable with a Harry Potter sort of flavor to it..." (My review.)
Starglass by Phoebe North
"Mind. Blown." (My review.)
How to Love by Katie Cotugno
"It was a really powerful read... a very personal read for me." (My review.)


Top 2 New Adult Favorites of 2013
A Little Too Much by Lisa Desrochers
"...the way new adult [should be] written--deep, heartfelt..." (My review.)
Foreplay by Sophie Jordan
"I quickly flew through the book but at the same time wanting to slow down because I didn't want my time with Reece and Pepper to be over." (My review.) 


2013 NA Honorable Mentions
Easy by Tammara Webber
My first NA read. It will always have a special place in my heart. It is sooo good!
The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
"...so addicting." (My review.)
Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
It stayed with me for days. Well-written.

Top 4 Romance Favorites of 2013
Love Irresistibly by Julie James
Another winner. Julie James needs to write faster. I can't get enough of her books.
Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh
WOW. Just WOW. (My review.)
One Night Rodeo by Lorelei James
Excellently written, heartfelt, emotional and so very, very steamy.
The Best Man by Kristan Higgins
Funny, romantic, sweet. I basically had a smile on my face the entire time I was reading it.

Audiobook Favorites of 2013
Bossypants by Tina Fey
Funny, entertaining and gave a new perspective on Tina Fey, who wasn't high on my radar before I listened to Bossypants.
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The ensemble cast was amazing. I loved listening to them and it made me enjoy the novel all the more through their performance.
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
My favorite narrator was the one who did the voice for Auggie but the ensemble cast was great and they made me love the novel more through their performance.

The year isn't over yet and I might find another favorite in the next couple of weeks but the books I mentioned above are all amazing, excellent reads. I highly recommend them all. Do you share any of my favorites this year?

Happy reading,
Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad How to Love made your list! I actually haven't read it yet, but I just got it from the library, so as soon as I recover from my last read, I'm going to jump right into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.