Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Leslie's 2013 Favorites

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 with
Hey everyone,
I hope y'all are enjoying yourselves. I'm so happy it's winter break, especially since my sister is back as an official librarian--I'm super proud of her--although, gone again for the Philippines. And now she and I can relax, read, and have book-nerdy discussions together.

Even though I didn't do a reading challenge like my sister, let alone read half of what she read this year, 2013 book-wise was also pretty big for me. Besides having read my first few e-books and having listened to my first few audiobooks ever, my reading list for 2013 is a little more extensive than my others for previous years. I'm a terribly slow reader, and above that, a busy student, so I tend to read fewer than 20 books a year. **Sad face**  However! This year, I actually read more than I ever had before--38 books! Yay! And among them all, were some really great reads.

In no particular order, here are my top favorites of 2013:

Top 5 Young Adult Favorites of 2013
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Just... wow. A story I will hold close to my bookish heart.
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
So vivid and moving. I loved the characters and the plot, and Marchetta's writing is just perfection.
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Immediately after finishing, all I could think was, "Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful." This was my first novel by Rowell, so now I'm excited to read her other and future books.
How to Love by Katie Cotugno
Like my sister, I really related to the main character Reena. I was so moved by this book: I laughed; I cried; I laughed again, then cried some more. I will always cherish it.
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
A really inspiring read. The narration was so clever and it told the story in the most profound way.

Top 3 Children and Middle Grade Favorites of 2013
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Children's)
Very imaginative and deeply moving. A story I will read to my kids one day.
Wonder by R.J. Palacio (MG)
This was one of my first few audiobooks, and the cast's performance made the story really come alive. Truly amazing and wonderful. I believe this is a book everyone needs to read.
Leisel and Po by Lauren Oliver and illustrated by Kei Acedera (MG)
Also one of my first few audiobooks, and another story I'd like my little sister and future kids to read. A very magical and fantastical story.

I also discovered some really great series this year, all of which I look forward to continuing, and hopefully, finishing in the year to come:
Legend by Marie Lu (YA)
My sister had pushed this series to me ever since the first book Legend came out in 2011, and now I'm a total fan. She and I cannot wait to read the last book Champion.
Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry (YA)
"explored a whirlwind of emotions and events experienced by individuals who are searching for themselves and learning about themselves...[reminded] me that I'm not alone in my confusion and fears." (My Pushing the Limits review, My Dare You To review) 
The Rephaim by Paula Weston (YA)
"I finished [the first book] Shadows within days...it was kind of hard to stop reading." (My review)
The Coincidence by Jessica Sorenson (NA)
The first book The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden was my first NA read. It was "just the type of contemporary fiction that I like...and on top of that, there was great writing and a great romance." (My Coincidence of Callie and Kayden review, My Redemption of Callie and Kayden review)

All of these books are a MUST READ. 2013 was such a great year of reading for me, although I can't wait for 2014 and the books it will bring. 

Do you share any of my favorites this year?

Happy reading and have a happy new year,
Leslie

2 comments:

  1. Several overlaps with our list from last year! And E&P was on our list this year too: http://www.weheartya.com/2013/12/our-favorite-reads-of-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legend and Pushing the Limits are on my list as well! I've read a couple of the other ones you've mentioned too but the ones I haven't, I'll have to soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.