Blog Tour: Q+A with Robin Constantine, author of The Promise of Amazing


Hello everyone,
We are very excited to be part of the blog tour for The Promise of Amazing and to welcome author Robin Constantine to our blog today. If you all visit our blog enough, you might've noticed that we LOVE reading contemporary YA and we were excited about The Promise of Amazing.

Leslie posted her review of The Promise of Amazing earlier today. Check it out here. There's a lot of awesome things on this post. Read on!

The Description
Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how.

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.


GOODREADS | AMAZON | B&N | KOBO | BOOK DEPOSITORY**


The Interview

Hi Robin! Welcome to Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks! As soon as we saw the cover of THE PROMISE OF AMAZING and read the synopsis, we just knew it was a book we just had to read. I know authors don't usually have a say but did you have an input in the creation of the cover and the writing of the synopsis? Did the cover models do a good job representing Wren and Grayson?
Hi Michelle & Leslie! Thanks for having me.

I didn’t have much say in the cover, which was fine with me. I’m a writer not a designer – but of course I was nervous. The cover of your book is something you dream about. My editor wanted to go for an indie-film feel, something that caught the spirit of the book.

When I saw the cover, I was totally blown away. Erin Fitzsimmons did an amazing job. I love everything about it – I really couldn’t have imagined a more perfect representation. I sort of jumped around flailing when I saw it, like “that’s Wren and Grayson in the park!” It all happened very quickly and I couldn’t share it with anyone for like, four months – that was so hard!! I also love the typography on the cover. I think they really nailed it.

What is a typical writing day for you? Are there certain hours in the day or night where your creative juices flow most abundantly?
One of the things I love about writing is that there isn’t a typical day. Each stage in the process is different for me. I’m pretty cranky during first draft!!

After I get my kids off to school, I usually hit my favorite yoga class or walk. Writing requires a lot of sitting, so I think it’s important to be physical. It helps with the creative process. I create a playlist for a novel – music that will connect me to a feeling I’m trying to portray or the character I’m trying to understand – so I can listen to it while I walk. I’ll write for a while in the morning, take a break, then write some more in the afternoon. I tend to be really, really organized in the morning hours so it’s good for editing, but I’m more creative in the evening and have had some of my best story epiphanies when I’m the only one awake. So I’m sort of all over the place!!

We are very curious about Wren. Please complete the following about her:
Wren is a fierce friend. She loves to feel like she’s part of something bigger – she adores her family, even though she sometimes feels trapped by her role as squirt. She loves her friends, Maddie and Jazz, and will stand by them no matter what. Once you’re in her heart, you’re there forever.

Wren likes to binge watch her favorite shows, hang out with Mads and Jazz, read and snuggling with Grayson.

Wren dislikes coffee, fake people, being manipulated, people telling her what she can’t do and cocktail franks.

Wren wants Grayson to break free from his past! She sees the best in him, and wants him to see that in himself too.

We are also very curious about Grayson. Would he prefer:
Soda or water? Gatorade.
Mac or PC? PC.
Football or soccer? Football.
Intellectual films or action films or comedy? Anything as long as he’s sitting next to Wren.
With Wren: A midnight walk at the beach or staying in with Chinese take out and a good movie? A midnight walk on the beach.

We're always sad to see characters go by the end of the book. Will we see Wren and Grayson again in a future book? And while we're on the subject, do you have another YA book in the works?
I’m so happy to hear this! Wren and Grayson will be in a future book, but only in the background. I’m working on a companion novel told from the POV of Wren’s bestie Madison which has been so much fun. Madison was one of those characters who kind of arrived on the page fully formed, but it’s been fun to be inside her head because she’s so different from Wren. And there will be a boy…

Thank you for answering our questions, Robin!
My pleasure!!

****
About Robin
Robin Constantine is a born and bred Jersey girl who moved down South so she could wear flip-flops year round. She spends her days dreaming up stories where love conquers all, well, eventually but not without a lot of peril, angst and the occasional kissing scene.

Her YA debut, The Promise of Amazing, will be released in 2014 by Balzer + Bray, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.

For more info about Robin and The Promise of Amazing, visit her on her website, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Goodreads and her blog.

Giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Good luck and happy reading,
Michelle & Leslie
Follow the rest of the blog tour here.

**We are not affiliated with any online booksellers. You clicking on buy links will NOT earn us any referral fees.

6 comments

  1. Hi Michelle & Leslie,
    I loved your interview before and I love it now even more! I specially love the "complete the following about her" & the Q&A with Grayson ;)
    Thanks for your hard & amazing work. You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie,
    I also wanted to stop by the review post and say thank you for your honest & great review :)


    Patri (@Rosario & Patricia)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 384 pages isn't enough time with the characters? D:
    I have super high expectations for this one, too. I keep seeing mixed stuff and now I'm a little bummed, aha. But I could really use a light read. So I'll be reading this one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was a cute read but I've heard plenty of flaws about this book, which thinks I might be able to skip it. The unconvincing romance between Grayson and Wren is a turn off. Thanks for your review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wren dislikes coffee?!??! :O That is shocking and disappointing :(
    But hey, Grayson sounds cute! Hehe.
    Great interview :D I always love learning a little bit more about the author and characters(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Joanna. And yes, definitely a good light read. Happy reading : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.