Review: Getting Rowdy by Lori Foster

Format: e-ARC
Publisher: Harlequin HQN
Pages: 440 pages
Release Date: September 24, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher via Netgalley
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
An alpha hero's attraction to the one woman he can't have could draw him into a killer's snare in the sizzling new novel from New York Times bestselling author Lori Foster
Charismatic bar owner Rowdy Yates isn’t the kind of man women say no to. So when he approaches waitress Avery Mullins, he fully expects to get her number. However, the elusive beauty has her reasons for keeping her distance—including a past that might come back to haunt them both.
Avery spends her nights working for tips… and trying to forget the secret Rowdy is determined to unearth. But when history threatens to repeat itself, Avery grows to rely on Rowdy’s protective presence. As the sparks between them ignite, she will be forced to choose between the security she’s finally found… and the passion she’s always wanted.



Getting Rowdy was my first Lori Foster novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was a little nervous when I was started though because I investigate new-to-me authors and check out reviews of their other books before I pick up a book of theres. It seems like Lori Foster is one of those who are "hit or miss" types. But Getting Rowdy is definitely a hit!

In Getting Rowdy we have Rowdy Yates, a bad boy with a heart of gold, and Avery Mullins, a rich girl who ran away because the guy her family is pressuring her into marrying assaulted her but no one in her family believed it happened. Rowdy just opened a bar and Avery works for him as his bartender. But Avery is more than just someone who works for Rowdy. They are true friends and Avery was a huge help to Rowdy getting the bar up and running.

From what I gather, Rowdy and Avery were mentioned in the previous books in the series (Getting Rowdy is the third book in the Love Undercover series) and there was always this chemistry between them. I did not read the first two books in the series and I think their relationship built a little bit in those books. I'm sad I missed those moments but it was not hard figuring out their backstory and where the two of them stand. Getting Rowdy can easily be read as a standalone novel.

I really liked Rowdy Yates. His character stood out a lot more than Avery's character. Avery was perfectly nice but nothing truly unique about her. But Rowdy was something else. His character was a lot more interesting and memorable. Maybe because he had a lot going on for him--from his childhood with his abusive alcoholic parents to his being a thug to earn money and protect this sister to really finally opening a bar and being bar owner to trying to gain the trust of a poor boy who had the same crappy childhood as Rowdy to trying to seduce Avery? He stood out on the page.

Getting Rowdy was a fun, quick read and the smexy scenes were quite hot. The plot, pacing and writing was solid and the characters were well-developed. While I don't have an urge to seek out the first two books in the series or other books by Lori Foster, Getting Rowdy was a good read and I enjoyed myself. I don't have any complaints about it.

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.