Friday, October 4, 2013

Format: e-ARC
Publisher: Harlequin
Pages: 224 pages
Release Date: October 22, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher via Netgalley
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Shh …it's a secret!

Special ops expert Trig Sinclair is a man's man, and that means he knows the cardinal rule of the bro code—no matter how dynamite Lena West is, as his best friend's younger sister, she's strictly off-limits!

But when a secret mission to Istanbul sees Lena and Trig pretending to be married (and sharing a bed!), he finds himself in a whole new world of sweet torture…. But if Trig thinks playing the honor-bound hero is tough, it's got nothing on how Lena feels when she discovers what her "groom" is really hiding….


What the Bride Didn't Know was the first book I've read by Ms. Hunter and the first book I've read in the Harlequin Kiss line.

I am always drawn to the friends to lovers trope so that was what made me initially pick up What the Bride Didn't Know. I was surprised to find that not only was it a friends to lovers but it was mixed with the amnesia plot, so that added a little twist to the story. And the fact that it was set in Istanbul added a different flavor to the story.

I admit I wasn't expecting much in terms of writing because I've read other Harlequin novels in the past (but in the Harlequin Presents line) and I wasn't terribly impressed with the writing in the books I've read, but I was pleasantly surprised to find What the Bride Didn't Know was well-written.

As for the main characters, Trig and Lena were lovely people. Though Trig was easier to like than Lena, I understood why she was prickly. I liked that it Trig who had the big crush on Lena--usually it the heroine crushing on the hero in romance novels so it was nice that it's the other way around in this book--and confessed his feelings to her early on. But, then, Lena lost her memory and circumstances led her to believe that she's married to Trig and they are on their honeymoon! Lena is wondering why her new husband won't sleep with her and Trig, who wanted to win the girl the honorable way, is starting to weaken...

I was able to finish What the Bride Didn't Know in two sittings and I have no issues with it--it delivered what it promised, which is a quick shot of a fun, flirty romance. For a short book, the story flowed well and it was a satisfying love story. What the Bride Didn't Know was a super fun, quick read and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading more by Kelly Hunter and the Harlequin Kiss line.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.