Review: My First Love by Callie West

Format: ARC
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 176 pages
Release Date: September 14, 2012
Source of my copy: won
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Amy Wyse has everything—except love. She doesn’t want a boyfriend to get in the way of her dreams of college and a swimming scholarship, goals toward which she’s worked hard. But then she’s swept off her feet by Chris Shepherd, an irresistible senior from the swim team. Suddenly Amy has romance and a promising future. Or does she? As she spends more and more time with Chris, her grades plummet and her swimming deteriorates. Amy thought she could have it all—but will she be left with nothing instead?


High school senior Amy Wyse has it all: good grades, great friends, a swimming scholarship and a great mom who has high hopes for her daughter. However, with her busy schedule there is no time for her to focus on anything else including love. Then, she falls head-over-heels for Chris Shepherd, an irresistible senior on her swim team. As Amy spends more and more time with Chris and falls in love for the first time, her grades begin to drop and her swimming slips. Is love worth losing her promising future?

My First Love is about Amy Wyse's first experience with love and it was a fast read that I finished in a couple of days. The plot was straightforward, cute and fun. I liked Amy's character because I can relate to her. Amy and I are both good students with dreams of going to college and we both have parents that have high hopes for us. I can definitely picture myself in her shoes and since I haven't experienced my first love this book is a great escape for me. As for Chris Shepherd, he was nice and charming for the most part but at times I thought he was a little annoying because he would pressure Amy into hanging out with him when she needs to focus on school and swimming. But Chris did care for Amy and the ending was sweet.

Overall, My First Love a cliché, cheesy and a predictable read but cute nonetheless and I enjoyed it. Pick it up for a quick weekend read.

11 comments

  1. Although My First Love was a bit predictable for you, it still sounds like a light and fun escape. As a mom with a tween, it's nice to escape lol to cheesy love. I like the sound of Amy's character, and that her mom was a positive part of the story. Thanks for the great review Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I'm getting a bit bored with books that have a high cheese-factor. This sounds like a cute, easy read, but I think I'd like a bit more intensity.


    Great review!


    - Allie @ Little Birdie
    Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. my most recent more intense YA contemporary read is chris crutcher's staying fat for sarah byres. fantastic read! it's an older title (2003) but i was surprised how much i enjoyed it! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51740.Staying_Fat_for_Sarah_Byrnes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll probably choose Anna and The French Kiss :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would get either Anna Dressed in Blood or Drink Slay Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like the Best Man

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would pick My Life Next Door! Thanks so much for the giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. not 100%sure but i have drink slay love on my wishlist for years so probably that one^^


    thank you a lot for opening this to international!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will chose Love Irresistibly by Julie James :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna Dressed In Blood

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.