Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Format: e-ARC
Type: e-novella
Publisher: Forever Yours
Release Date: November 5, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher via Netgalley
Series: Coming Home #2.6
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
There's nothing in the world Army Sergeant Vic Carponti loves more than his wife and his country. Smart-mouthed and easy tempered, he takes everything as a joke . . . except his promise to come home to his wife, Nicole, for Christmas. As he prepares to leave for his latest deployment into Iraq, Vic will do everything he can to shield his beautiful, supportive wife from the realities of war . . . and from his own darkest fears.
As a career army wife, Nicole Carponti knows just what to expect from her husband's tour of duty: loneliness, relentless worry, and a seemingly endless countdown until the moment Vic walks through the door again. But when the unthinkable happens, Nicole and Vic's bond is tested like never before and changes everything they believe to be true about the power of love and the simple beauty of being home for the holidays.



I'll Be Home For Christmas appealed to me because I love husband and wife stories in romance novels and this one is just that: funny army man Vic and beautiful Nicole are married but they keep getting separated because of Vic's deployments. This novella wasn't the usual road to love or finding love because Vic and Nicole already love each other. Instead, it's a look into marriage in the military.

This was my first by Jessica Scott and I really enjoyed this intimate view of military life. From the author bio page I found out that that Ms. Scott was a soldier herself and this fact lend the novella true authenticity. I don't know anyone in the military and could only imagine what the spouse of a soldier goes through whenever their loved one leaves for their tour of duty--seeing just that through Vic and Nicole was interesting.

Vic is a clown and jokester and uses jokes to keep his men's spirits up. That's his thing and sometimes his jokes are the only thing that get through the men on bad days. But inside he can't help but worry about his wife waiting for him at home and what his constant deployments mean to their marriage and relationship. For Nicole, being a career military wife means loneliness, constant worry and stress but she's there for her husband and supports him. I love that strong love and support these two had between them.

I'll Be Home For Christmas was a nice, quick read though sometimes the writing does get a bit stilted. But overall I enjoyed it and makes me want to read more by Jessica Scott. The next in the series is a full-length novel featuring another military couple in a troubled marriage and I'm definitely interested in reading that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout, my WoW for today has a book of hers too.
    Great pick!

    Here you can find my WoW

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.