Thursday, October 10, 2013

Format: ARC
Publisher: Knofp for Young Readers
Pages: 260 pages
Release Date: October 26, 2010
Source of my copy: won
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”


So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.


I am going to attempt to review one of my favorite reads of all time. Here we go...

While in his favorite bookstore a few days before Christmas, Dash finds a red moleskin notebook full of challenges. He decided to accept the dares and leaves one for the notebook's authoress and hence began Dash and Lily's unlikely romance. Set in New York around Christmas time, this book is not only a perfect holiday read but also one worth re-reading even after the winter holidays are over.

I was so caught up in Lily and Dash's adventures as they each carried out and tried to one-up each other in their dares that I ate this book up in one day. The twists and turns and the anticipation of will they or won't they end up together when they finally meet face to face made this book a fantastic read. The story was told through the alternating first-person narrative of Dash and Lily and each character had their own personality and unique voice. I liked the adorably unconventional Lily right away--she was the sheltered pet of her big and far-flung extended family and a bubbly idealist who loves everything about Christmas. As for Dash, he was a product of a divorce with a disenchanted view of Christmas. I wasn't sure of him at first as he seemed haughty--he reminded me of a little of Chuck Bass from the show Gossip Girl but without the sliminess and the manipulativeness. While he does retain a sardonic, philosophic air throughout the book, I grew to like him. I rooted for these two seemingly opposite couple because they were perfect for each other.

Helping Dash and Lily along the way were many quirky secondary characters, most of which added humor to the story. This book had me laughing out loud so many times. There were so many funny scenes in this book including a power-mad elf and a sweaty gone-commando Santa, a Pixar movie spoof, wax celebrities, hostile mommies and a bullmastiff. I also loved the setting in this book, from Strand Bookstore to Washington Square Park and all the places in between, it is one exhilarating tour of New York City around Christmas time.

After I turned the last page, I was a little sad that my time with Lily and Dash was over but the book left a smile on my face. Dash and Lily's Book of Dares is my first book by the authors and it won't be my last--I'm looking forward to reading more by this author duo. I absolutely love this book! With its engaging storyline, awesome characters and wonderful setting, I very highly recommend you add this book to your holiday reads list this holiday season!

6 comments:

  1. I remember picking a copy of this up ages ago (literally years) and it's sat on my bookshelf, unread, ever since! Your review has really made me wonder why the heck that is because it sounds so amazing! I'm really glad you had such a great experience with it :) I'll let you know how I get on.


    - Allie @ Little Birdie Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book around for a while too and I haven't read it yet. Glad you enjoyed it. Dash sounding like Chuck Bass is awesome, and love that the book is funny. Funny is a little too rare in YA.


    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book when I first read it. I just realized I don't own a copy. Hm. I may have to change that. I do remember there was a Muppet scene? That made me happy. :) Have you read the holiday collection, Let It Snow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your blog!! I have your blog featured as my favorite blog to visit :) You can check it out here

    The Ultimate Bookworrms.


    XO


    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. no i haven't. but i haven't picked it up because i'm not a big fan of anthologies. is it in the same quirky vein as dash and lily's?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I so glad you loved this! I really enjoyed it, too. David Levithan rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.