Sunday, September 29, 2013


Format: e-ARC
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Pages: 336 pages
Release Date: October 1, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher via Netgalley
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Chloe didn't think about it much when she nodded off in study hall on that sleepy summer day. But when she wakes up, snow is on the ground and she can't remember the last six months of her life. Before, she'd been a mediocre student. Now, she's on track for valedictorian and being recruited by Ivy League schools. Before, she never had a chance with super jock Blake. Now he's her boyfriend. Before, she and Maggie were inseparable. Now her best friend won't speak to her.

What happened to her?
And why can't she remember?



I picked up Six Months Later because I was intrigued by the premise: a girl falls asleep in class and wakes up six months later with her life completely different. What the heck happened?

From the beginning I was riveted to the story. First of all, it was very readable--I like the author's voice and the way she told the story. I thought the plot was unique and it kept me at the edge of my seat, but I'm not going to say more about it because saying more than the description above will be spoiler-y.

The characters were great. Chloe was awesome: she's smart, stubborn and resourceful. She wanted answers and nothing will stop her but she wasn't one of those typical can-do-all characters in mystery novels--she had others to help her figure out what was going on, which was nice to see. I liked her ex-best friend Maggie too. She had a stutter and I really felt for her but she's a strong character as well beneath her struggles. I rooted for Chloe and Maggie to be friends again. Although it's not the main focus of the story, there is a romance and the love interest Adam was just a great guy.

The psychological mystery aspect of the novel was set up very well. I love reading mysteries to begin with and I can usually figure out what is happening or who the bad guy is, but Six Months Later I was kept guessing. However, like other reviewers have already mentioned, there was some parts where I wished we were given more. I had questions about Julien and Dr. Kirkpatrick that weren't answered and left me wondering.

But overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Six Months Later. The plot was riveting and fast-paced, the main characters were fleshed out and I quickly devoured the novel. It was just a really unique read. If you like mysteries or psychological thrillers type of reads, Six Months Later is for you.


Author:
Natalie D. Richards won her first writing competition in the second grade with her short story about Barbara Frances Bizzlefishes (who wouldn't dare do the dishes.) She later misplaced her writing dreams in a maze of cubicles and general office drudgery. Natalie never forgot about Barbara or those dishes, and eventually she found her way back to storytelling, following the genre of her heart, teen fiction. When she's not writing or shopping her manuscripts, you can probably find her wading through the towers of dog-eared paperbacks that have taken over her bedroom. Natalie lives in Ohio with her amazing husband and their three children, who inspire her every day to stick with her dreams.



Giveaway:
Questions of the day
Read the Six Months Later description. Tell us your theory of what may have happened to Natalie.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
**Blog Tour Rule: The person who earns the most points in Rafflecopter wins the giveaway.**

5 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle!
    Thanks so much for the nice review! This blog tour has been wonderful and I'm so thrilled to be on the blog with you. Thanks for having me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,


    So happy to know that you enjoyed Six Months Later. Thanks for sharing your lovely review, being in our FFBC Team and being in this tour ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already read a couple of reviews of this and it seems like everyone likes it!! The premise does sound good and I'm glad to hear that the characters are great and that the psychological mystery aspect of the book was set up well.

    Great review!! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sapir @
    Diary of a
    Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're thinking of giving it a shot! I sure hope you enjoy it! Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that question is a tough one. My guess is that she's dreaming? I mean, that would explain the sudden loss of memory, because when you're dreaming, you tend not to know where the dream starts, plus you have memories of your real life, but somehow your mind rationalizes the dream.
    But if it isn't a dream, maybe she accidentally bumped her head sometime and forgot the last six months. I remember something like the in Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.