Friday, September 6, 2013

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Forever
Pages: 392 pages
Release Date: August 6, 2013
Series:  The Coincidence #1
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads) For Kayden, suffering in silence was the only way to survive. If he was lucky, he could keep his head down, do as he was told, and make it through the day. But one night it seemed like his luck-and his life-might finally end... until an angel named Callie appeared just in time to rescue him. Callie has never believed in luck. Not since her twelfth birthday when everything was taken from her. After the worst was over, she locked up her feelings and vowed never to tell anyone what happened. Now, six years later, she continues to struggle with the painful secret that threatens to consume her. When fate lands Kayden and Callie at the same college, Kayden is determined to get to know the beautiful girl who changed his destiny. Quiet and reserved, Callie still fears letting anyone else into her world. But Kayden is certain that Callie has come back into his life for a reason. And the more he tries to be a part of her life, the more he realizes that, this time, it's Callie who needs to be saved...



This book was my first foray into new adult and... Oh. My. Gosh... I LOVED The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden. It's just the type of contemporary fiction that I like--two characters finding each other and trying to overcome great burdens together--and on top of that, there was great writing and a great romance. Seriously, on more than one occasion, I rushed to finish all my chores and homework just to get back to Callie and Kayden. These two burrowed themselves into my romantic bookish heart and are now included in my list of all-time favorite characters.

I LOVED The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden, and I can't wait to read its sequel The Redemption of Callie and Kayden.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

**Rewind**

I've never read anything by Jessica Sorensen before, let alone a new adult novel, so I picked up The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden figuratively blind and just hoping for the best. Then, when I read that first paragraph, I knew I was a goner; Callie and Kayden's story became my great escape.

I loved Sorensen's writing style. Every time I had to put down her book, I was amazed by how far in I'd gotten, because her writing flowed so well that there was no way of keeping track of how many pages I read. I really liked how Sorensen's writing was so thoughtful and how it delineated the story, setting, and characters very well. I saw and felt everything that unfolded in The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden, and it was always as if I was watching a movie--a great movie, at that.

I also really liked the plot; I never lost interest and its pacing was nice and even. I liked how all the scenes knitted well together and that every single one contributed not only to the development of the story but also to the characters' development.

Callie and Kayden were, individually and together, great characters. I imagined them as dear friends who I wanted to hang out with and comfort. I loved Kayden--no matter how vulnerable and afraid he'd be he never failed to be the nice, caring, strong, and brave guy he was, especially to Callie. And speaking of Callie, because of her secrets, I didn't expect to feel anything more than sympathy towards her, however, I ended up really relating to her because I found that I was actually kind of like her--timid and thoughtful. If there was one character I was really rooting for, it was Callie. I loved watching her grow, and because of her I want to journal again.

I generally like it when books have alternating first-person perspectives, and I especially enjoyed it in The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden because it was great getting to know Callie and Kayden on such a personal level. I rooted for the two of them from the very beginning of the novel to... well, now, since their story continues in The Redemption of Callie and Kayden. I can't wait to read more about them in the sequel.

If you're like me and love contemporary fiction, especially those of the heavier variety, then you'll enjoy The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden. It has everything--great writing, romance, great plot, likable characters--and it is such an addictive read. After that **Gah!** cliffhanger ending, I was on the edge and immediately read the chapter preview of The Redemption of Callie and Kayden that was included in my paperback copy. Although I'm now more at ease, I'm still anxious to read more about Callie and Kayden and their road toward forgiveness.

6 comments:

  1. I've just finished the Redemption of Callie & Kayden, unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectation like the first one did but it is non the less a great book :).


    Glad you enjoyed this book, the ending was just like 'OMG WHATTTTTTTT??'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I've ever read a Jessica Sorensen novel, but she's been popping up everywhere! I need to check out one of her books. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still new to new adult and this seems like a good book to start with! The writing sounds very good. I've never read any Jessica Sorensen and now I think I've been missing out. Great review!


    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks P.E. Mari! It really is a great book. I hope you enjoy it as well. Happy reading : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes that ending! Goodness gracious...


    Thank you Georgie! I can't wait to get my hands on Redemption of Callie & Kayden; it's nice to know that it is a good read as well.


    Happy reading : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.