Review: The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Forever
Pages: 426 pages
Release Date: November 15, 2012
Series: The Edge of Never #1
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.
Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club in downtown North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she’s ever known, far behind.
With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.
But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she’d do. He shows her what it’s really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew’s dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?



I admit to not expecting much when I picked up The Edge of Never. I've seen it around when it was a self-published novel but I didn't really give it much thought (and it was mostly because I'm a self-published snob--nope, I'm not proud of it but it is what it is). But I usually pick up originally self-published novels after they are picked up by a major publisher, so when I was contacted by Forever about reviewing The Edge of Never I immediately said yes.

Well, I'm glad I did because I absolutely loved this book! Actually, I'm kicking myself for not reading it as soon as I got it in the mail. It is so good--like, read until dawn good.

For some reason, I didn't catch this when I read the description of the novel but The Edge of Never is the ultimate road-trip romance! Twenty-year-old Camryn (or Cam) has had a rough few years--her parents divorced, her mom became distant, her brother was in jail and her boyfriend Ian (the only person who shared her dreams of living an extraordinary, adventure-filled life) died in a car accident. She didn't quite know what to do with her life after Ian's passing and Cam felt unfulfilled and stuck and not happy. But what finally pushed Cam to the edge was when her best friend Natalie's long-time boyfriend hits on her and Natalie accused Camryn of being a liar after she confronted Natalie. She boarded a Greyhound bus, picking a random destination, and left without telling anyone where she was going. On the bus she met sexy, confident and charming Andrew Parrish, who was on his way to see his very sick, dying father. Andrew has his own heartbreaking story but on the surface one cannot tell that Andrew has all of these awful things going on in his life because his father had taught him to be strong and never let anyone see him cry or show any weak emotions.

The Edge of Never switched off between Cam and Andrew's first-person perspective. It was great getting both of their points of views. I felt I got to know both intimately, which made me really care and root for both of them. I sympathized with Cam right from the beginning, with all the tragedies in her life and having that feeling of unfulfilled dreams and potential. I could relate. But Andrew ended up stealing every single scene. He was perfect but not in a way that his character was flawless or without fault because he had his flaws. He was just a perfect mix of charm, cockiness, humor, sweetness and protectiveness. I really fell in love with his character and bemoaned the fact that he only exists between the pages.

I loved reading about Cam and Andrew's love story. Right from the beginning there was crazy chemistry between them but for most of the book their feelings for each other simply simmered. There was insta-attraction but no insta-love. Cam and Andrew truly became best friends first. I loved that anticipation, the gradual build-up for when they finally act on their attraction. When they finally did, it was HOT!! Redmerski really created a great couple in Cam and Andrew--they really complemented and completed each other.

I loved reading about Cam and Andrew's journey across the mid-west. There was a lot music referenced throughout, from classic rock to country-folk music, and I listened to some of the songs mentioned while reading the novel. It really added an extra flavor to the reading experience by following along to Cam and Andrew's road trip soundtrack. Reading this novel makes me want to go on a road trip myself!

I do have one issue with this novel, though. The plot and the story was flowing along well until this whole performing a song in a bar bit with Cam came along towards the end. It read like a whole new plot line that was tacked on as an afterthought. It added nothing to the main plot line to move it along. Maybe it was added as a precursory to book two? I don't know but it was awkwardly done. However, I can forgive this minor issue because the rest of the novel was fantastic.

This novel was long at over 400 pages but you're going to be flipping those pages very quickly because it's so addicting. If you like new adult or you are thinking of picking a new adult novel, I definitely recommend The Edge of Never, especially if you're looking for something that will not drain you with too much drama. The Edge of Never wasn't that too heavy of a read. There was drama (of course!) but there was a lot of humor and light moments to balance everything out--I found myself smiling a lot when I was reading. I am looking forward to book two.

3 comments

  1. This book was SOOO good!! (And I'm a self published book snob as well. lol!) I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. Ugh, the wait is killing me! So glad you enjoyed this as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad you liked it. I bought it a little bit ago. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you get to see things from several characters' points of view, this way every event and every scene complement each other really well and harmoniously. Now that I think about it, I haven't read a romance book in ages.

    Mada Sch @ All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.