Review: Anatomy of a Single Girl by Daria Snadowsky

Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Pages: 227 pages
Release Date: January 8, 2013
Source of my copy: author
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
After everything that happened—my first boyfriend, my first time, my first breakup—jumping back into the dating game seemed like the least healthy thing I could do. It’s not that I didn’t want to fall in love again, since that’s about the best feeling ever. But as a busy college premed still raw from heartbreak, which is the worst feeling ever, I figured I’d lie low for a while. Of course, as soon as I stopped looking for someone, an impossibly amazing—and devastatingly cute—guy came along, and I learned that having a new boyfriend is the quickest way to recover from losing your old one. The moment we got together, all my preconceptions about romance and sex were turned upside down. I discovered physical and emotional firsts I never knew existed. I learned to let go of my past by living in the present. It was thrilling. It was hot. It was just what the doctor ordered. But I couldn’t avoid my future forever. In Daria Snadowsky’s daring follow-up to Anatomy of a Boyfriend, eighteen-year-old Dominique explores the relationship between love and lust, and the friendships that see us through.




I really enjoyed Anatomy of a Boyfriend, so as soon as I finished it, I began reading the companion novel Anatomy of a Single Girl. I was just really excited to read more about Dominique (or, Dom for short). While the ending of Anatomy of a Boyfriend was good, I still wanted to know what Dom will do after all the events. I was very happy to find that Snadowsky's Anatomy of a Single Girl was an excellent read. I absolutely LOVED it, and I think maybe it was even better than Boyfriend.

Anatomy of a Single Girl was set in Dom's hometown during her summer after her freshman year of college. After having broken up with her first love Wes, all Dom wanted to do was lie low and move on--or in other words, get back into her routine of being single and lonely. Then, alas, a super cute guy named Guy comes along, and Dom experienced love once again. But this relationship with Guy was very different from her previous one with Wes. With Guy, Dom decided to live in the present and forget the future, and for a while, all was well and exciting. However, the future was inevitable and unavoidable, and Dom came face to face with it, along with who she was and what love truly means.

I was so happy to see how much Dominique had grown from Anatomy of a Boyfriend. After being so naive, curious, and confused about everything, in Anatomy of a Single, Dom was much more mature, strong, and content. Her growth as a character was especially evident in the way she narrated Anatomy of a Single Girl. Her character's voice was different--more fluid and focused, which communicated how she has grown up since Boyfriend. I rooted for Dom all throughout the novel; I laughed and I cried with her as she tried to figure out love and all its ways of being found, felt, broken, and mended.

I also really liked how I got to read more of Dominique and Amy's friendship in Anatomy of a Single Girl. Unlike in Anatomy of a Boyfriend, Amy, Dom's best friend, really took part in the plot and in helping Dom cope with her heartbreak. I loved getting to know her character more. Seeing Dom and Amy be so loyal and understanding toward each other despite whatever differences they may have or (boy) problems they may face was really touching. After reading Snadowsky's Anatomy novels and getting to relate to both Dom and Amy, I feel as if they were like my friends too--friends who I can go to to talk about anything of the most awkward-est subjects. I wish they were real and I'm glad I met them. I missed them after the book ended.

From the first book Anatomy of a Boyfriend, Anatomy of a Single Girl continues Dom's story of firsts, but this time around, it's about how she had moved on from her first heart break. I'm really glad to have read these books by Daria Snadowsky. The candid-ness and authenticity of both her Anatomy books put a lot of things about love, life, and people into perspective for me. Often in YA novels, first loves are portrayed as a happily-ever-after, forever kind of love and more often than not, in real life, that's not true at all. Most first loves end. I like how that was shown in the Anatomy books.

Anatomy of a Boyfriend and Anatomy of a Single Girl are standalone books; you can enjoy Single Girl without reading Boyfriend. BUT, I highly recommend you read both books to better appreciate either. I especially recommend Snadowsky's books to my fellow teens, but anyone can and should read them--both novels offer great insight told in a buoyant and readable (yet honest) manner.

Read my review of Anatomy of a Boyfriend.

3 comments

  1. My co-blogger will be reading these soon and I can't wait to see what she thinks of them. Anatomy of a Boyfriend sounds better to me and Dom sounds like an interesting guy. I'm glad you enjoyed this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tanja! I hope your co-blogger enjoys this series. Happy reading : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I also loved the emphasis on the friendship here. Your girlfriends are so important and I loved how these two could basically maintain what they had during their childhood despite going to different places for college.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.