Monday, August 5, 2013

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Pages: 267 pages
Release Date: January 9, 2007
Source of my copy: author
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body. Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love. And then came the fall.



I've never read a book quite like Anatomy of a Boyfriend; I heard there were graphic sexual situations. So, when I picked up Anatomy of a Boyfriend I wasn't sure what to expect and how to react. Well, after reading it, I'm glad this book came into my life.

I liked how Snadowsky captured the real highs and real lows of "relationship firsts" (e.g., first boyfriend, first breakup, losing one's virginity, etc.). All the aspects of the novel--the plot, characters, narration, and writing--came together well to convey how a high school teen experiences his or her firsts. From the very first page, the story ran like a rapid river, describing every aspect of high school and first love. At first, I was quite overwhelmed by the whirlwind of emotions and desires, but soon, I grew to appreciate it, for, like I said, it really captured the life and mind of a curious teen.

The plot was fast-paced and exciting, making Anatomy of a Boyfriend an overall quick and easy read. I really liked how there was much humor and easiness throughout the novel, even during the graphic scenes, because, for me, it helped take away whatever awkwardness and hesitance I was feeling as I read. I also liked how well Snadowsky's writing flowed.

I really liked how relatable Dominique (Dom, for short) was. Dom was a student aspiring to become a doctor, and she was very knowledgable of the human biology and psychology of things. Her knowledge was interspersed throughout Anatomy of a Boyfriend along with her experiences, and I really liked that matter-of-fact element, for it gave the novel a good well-roundedness.

Besides her own unique character traits--loyal, objective, intelligent, sympathetic, and loving--Dom was very much like any naive and careless teen. Although her reckless actions and delusional thoughts annoyed me from time to time, I grew to understand and sympathize with her. However, I wasn't very convinced of Dom and Wesley's (the love interest) relationship. If the romance of Anatomy of a Boyfriend was better developed, I don't think I would have been as annoyed by Dom as I was.

Anatomy of a Boyfriend put a lot of things into perspective for me as a teen. Although others may criticize it for having too graphic (but, really, there's nothing YA/high school readers cannot handle) sexual scenes, I believe it's an excellent book for any young adult to relate to, connect with, and learn from because its authentic, candid, and relatable.

Since I enjoyed Anatomy of a Boyfriend so much, I've already read and finished the companion book Anatomy of a Single Girl and plan on posting my review tomorrow. Daria Snadowsky needs to write more books or write faster because I want to read more books by her in the near future.


Please visit our blog tomorrow to read my review of the companion novel to Anatomy of a Boyfriend called Anatomy of a Single Girl.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the book I believe I received them for review and I don't have a review yet :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Itara! I hope you enjoy this series and I can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha. Aren't we all reckless and delusional when we fall in love for the first time? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot of good things about this one! It's on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.