Thursday, August 1, 2013


Dear bookish friends,
If you're like me then you might be looking for something a little different from your usual female dominated YA reads. Look no further than Being Henry David.

Seventeen-year-old "Hank" has found himself at Penn Station in New York City with no memory of anything--who he is, where he came from, why he's running away. His only possession is a worn copy of Walden by Henry David Thoreau. And so he becomes Henry David-or "Hank" and takes first to the streets, and then to the only destination he can think of--Walden Pond in Concord, Massachusetts.

Cal Armistead's remarkable debut novel is about a teen in search of himself. Hank begins to piece together recollections from his past. The only way Hank can discover his present is to face up to the realities of his grievous memories. He must come to terms with the tragedy of his past, to stop running, and to find his way home.

I have not had the chance to read Being Henry David so I cannot give you my personal opinion but I'll quote some reviews from Goodreads.
"The book is action-packed and there’s an urgency of finding out Hank’s true identity as he struggles with his amnesia. Since I studied the classics, I liked how Hank turned to the words and spirit of Thoreau for solace and guidance." --Medeia Sharif gave it 4/5 stars (read the full review)
"I fell in love with "Hank" almost immediately. I find that so often in young adult books when we get the story from a male perspective, there is often so much hate or cursing. That is the last thing I want to read! So when I find characters like Hank, I really treasure them." --Erika gave it 4/5 stars (read the full review)
"This was an odd little book. It took a long time to get where it was going. It was kind of slow. Despite that, I enjoyed reading it... Thoreau kind of becomes Hank's ghost guide, appearing to him and talking to him... Worth a read." --Wandering Librarians gave it 3/5 stars (read the full review)
"Being Henry David pulls you through a full range of emotions." --Sheri Boston gave it 5/5 stars (read the full review)
You want to get your hands on this book now, right? Well, thanks to the awesome folks at Albert Whitman & Company, we are giving a signed copy of Being Henry David (open to US and Canada).

a Rafflecopter giveaway

To increase your chances of winning Being Henry David, as well as enter to win other Albert Whitman & Company books, go HERE.

Good luck!

-Michelle

4 comments:

  1. I think I accidentally posted my screen name for the contest rather than my literary guide. My literary guide would be Anne McCaffrey. She is an amazingly creative writer who has been creating worlds and characters for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had to choose a literary guide, I'd have to choose J.K. Rowling. She has written one of the best series in history and I know it will NEVER be forgotten. Thanks for the giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoreau is a good one. Or Whitman. Love those two!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.