Tuesday, July 23, 2013

It's been a while since I participated in the "Top Ten Tuesday" meme but I really like the topic this week, which is "top ten words/topics that make me not pick up a book."
It's a very interesting topic and one Leslie and I have spent some time talking about in the past. So, I thought I'd list ten words or topics that turn me off a YA novel (I have different words/topics red flags for romance novels, NA and MG books).

There are a few exceptions, like if it's written by an author I love or it's being highly recommended by someone whose bookish opinion I trust, but 99% of the time I avoid these--

Just not a fan of YA novels written this way. **shrugs**

If a YA book is being compared to, a fan fiction of, hints of a love triangle similar to or labeled as the next Twilight, I'm not touching it.

Any YA fiction "written" by young/not-so-young celebs (e.g., Lauren Conrad, Hilary Duff, Tyra Banks, etc.) or faux celebrities (e.g., Elle & Blair Fowler)... just NO.

Unless it's part of a series I'm already following, I'm likely to avoid anything with vampires (and other paranormal creatures like werewolves and fairies) these days unless it comes high recommended.

Mental illness usually means an unreliable narrator and I'm not a fan of those.

Okay, technically an eating disorder is a mental illness but a novel that primarily focus on this issue is not something I'm inclined to pick up.

Not interested.

Incest, infidelity, adultery... there's very little I find romantic in this legend so I stay away from any retellings of it.    

Instead of "Jazz Age," I should've said the Roaring Twenties. But, yeah, I'm not likely to pick a book set during the 1920s. Flappers, speakeasy, parties, automobiles, booze-y nights, dance clubs? It's not a time in history I'd want to live in so I'm not interested in reading about it.

Anything surrounding the life of, set on the court or during the reign of King Henry VIII, his wives, court intrigues, etc. Not really into it. I'm more of a Queen Victoria kind of girl.


What words or topics turn you off or keeps you from picking up a book?


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

15 comments:

  1. Some of my historicals cover the 1920s, so I can assure you that not all books set during that time period are all about flappers, speakeasies, and parties! Lots of other things happened during that time period, esp. in other countries, and most people were busy just living their own lives instead of taking part in the most well-known aspects of the decade in North America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I don't like books with eating disorders or mental illness either.

    Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. King Henry VIII gives me the creeps with all his killing and wives, and attempted children.....YUCK!!! And King Arthur is such a disturbing time...I can think of two things that I like that have to do with that era (Avalon High by Meg Cabot and Merlin the TV show!) And mental Illness is soooo depressing and I think that generally it is not portrayed well in YA books! Great list!!!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha :D I love your "King Arthur" and "King Henry VIII" so much. Something I wouldn't think of but I can totally understand why you don't like those topics :p Great list! Follow the blog now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my TTT!
    I totally agree with you on the celebrity front. I usually don't pick those up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all those except the mental illness issues. I love when books kind put you in the mind of someone with a certain MI. Plus, I think it is a great way to destigmatize the tabboo of mental illness. But, I did get a minor is psychology, so I'm kind of drawn to that sort of thing anyways. :)

    Thanks for stopping by by blog!

    My TTT!

    Jess @ Such A Novel Idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, books written by celebrities are totally not my thing.
    And ohh, I've never thought of books set in the Jazz Age before. Since I don't really like musical history, I'll avoid books set in the Jazz Age like the plague.
    Lovely list & thanks for stopping by my TTT! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even think of the celebrities thing. I don't like that either. We all know most of them got their "book deal" from someone else writing their book. (Well Snookie did anyways......)

    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. That whole "the next twilight" I didn't even think of until I started to see it on people's lists. I can't stand that either!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you on celebrities! Their books don't call to me! Also used to love vampire but now a days not so much!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    Ally @ Book Fixation

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I hate when books are labelled "the next..." because the book can rarely live up to the hype of that book and it seems like so many people are eager to have the next big thing that any new series is labelled that. I'm not entirely crazy about King Arthur type stories as well, something about them just doesn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I'm not a huge fan of verse either.

    Happy Reading!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once upon a time, I've fallen head over heels in love with Twilight but after a year or so, I finally saw the light and realized that I have been tricked. It's one of my hated series right now. I was young and naive way back then. *hangs head in shame*



    Thoughts and Pens

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw that is too bad that you don't like the roaring 20s. I really love that age so I really enjoyed Vixen by Jillian Larkin the entire series by her was awesome. I also have to say I enjoyed Mara Dyer 1 and 2 even though she has a mental illness in the book.



    I do try to stay away from vampires now though unless it is highly recommended or part of a series I'm already reading. I also put down a book recently because one of the characters died of an eating disorder while people stood around and let her so that was a deal breaker with me on that book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.