Review: Until Fountain Bridge by Samantha Young (novella)

book coverFormat: e-ARC
Publisher: Intermix
Release Date: June 18, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher via Netgalley
Series: On Dublin Street #1.6
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

Ellie Carmichael had a crush on Adam Sutherland, her brother, Braden’s, best friend, for years, and although Adam treated her with proprietary concern he made it clear he thought of her only as a little sister.
Over the years, as Ellie’s crush develops into love, her romantic idealism makes it difficult for her to move on. To make matters worse, as she’s gotten older, Adam’s attitude has changed toward her. His affection for her is now joined by attraction, but his loyalty to Braden, and his fear of losing the only family he has, stops him from claiming Ellie the way she wishes he would.
But one night his attraction is put to the test, and as much as Adam would like things to remain the same everything changes between them in a simple brush of the lips.
Soon lust, love, jealousy and heartbreak combine to force change upon their relationship… and Adam discovers the hard way that life is too damn short to spend it on regret.



I purchased On Dublin Street and pre-ordered Down London Road because the the short excerpts I read I loved and I heard so many good things about them both from book bloggers I trust and readers in general but Until Fountain Bridge is the first book I've read by Samantha Young.

Ellie was such a sweetheart and Adam was sexy. Until Fountain Bridge opened with Ellie gathering her journals which chronicles her unrequited love for Adam through the years with the intention of giving it to Joss as inspiration for her next novel. Adam was interested in reading them and they both go down memory lane. Adam got to see their relationship over the years through Ellie's eyes and feeling shoddier and shoddier of how he reacted to her over the years. It was fun seeing how their relationship developed. It was very romantic--I just love the "in love with brother's best friend" romantic trope. I do wish that it alternates between Ellie and Adam's POV though. I would've love to know what Adam was thinking during some parts.

This novella gave me a quick taste of Samantha Young's writing and characters and, well, what I read I really, really liked! And I am so glad I have ODS and DLR waiting for me on my Kindle ready to read--I'm very excited to read a full-length novel by Ms. Young. Even though Until Fountain Bridge was a novella it was very satisfying and so very good.

I guess I spoiled myself reading Until Fountain Bridge first before On Dublin Street but now that I have a basic idea of what's going to happen, I'm really looking forward to reading more details about Joss and Braden's road to their happily ever after. And I have a new perspective about Ellie and Adam's characters, so it is all good.

This novella is not to be missed! It can be read as a stand-alone, but like me, after reading, you'll be hankering to read On Dublin Street right after.

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.