I Finally Read My First E-Book!

I know, I know... It's about time, right? We-ell...

One of the things I like about reading books is the physical book itself: I like admiring the book cover; turning the pages; smelling the pages; clutching the book in my hands; and if I really loved it, hugging the book. When I read a book, I feel as if I can jump and hide within the pages if and when reality ever seems too distressing.

When e-books came along, I felt that the reading experience just wouldn't be the same.

For the longest time, my sister has nagged me about e-books--how they read just the same as physical books and how I should just read one just to "see and try it out." Every time she nagged me though, I refused, not wanting to conform anytime soon.

And then, I got an iPhone.

As I excitedly searched for apps to download, I came across Amazon's Kindle app, and for some inexplicit reason, I downloaded it. Soon after I downloaded my first e-book.

A couple of weeks ago, I finished my very first e-book, which was Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. [[Btw, I absolutely LOVED it and is a MUST READ. I urge you to read it!]]

My sister was right: e-books reads just like physical books. Although I wasn't able to literally turn the pages or smell the pages or anything, I was able to, nonetheless, lose myself in a story. That was what I was afraid of most, that I wouldn't be able to really get into the story.

For a while, I thought of e-books as the end of the world, for, despite being a teen of this century of intense modernization, I have this old-fashion, traditionalist side of me that doesn't want to lose the old for the new, or have the old be infringed by the new. I imagined this dichotomy between the old and the new, physical book and e-books. I wasn't ready to give up the old, comfortable thing for the new, uncompromising and intangible thing.

Now I understand that e-books, among other changes, were inevitable, and that I shouldn't shun things without trying them. The world didn't end when I picked up that e-book. Reading is still reading no matter the format of the thing being read.

Currently, I'm reading on my phone Speechless by Hannah Harrington, which I'm enjoying. I'm finding it really nice and convenient to have some books with me where ever I travel, especially since I don't have many purses or bags large enough to carry a physical book. It also opens me up to more books, since as a blogger, these days many of the review books being offered are in e-format. I still, and probably always will, prefer my paperback and hardcover books, but otherwise, I'm warming up to e-books.

5 comments

  1. Welcome to the dark side, muahahahaha!


    Hehe, j/k. Ebooks are just as great as regular books, because (as you said) they let us lose ourselves in stories! And omg how did you like ELEANOR & PARK?? We looooved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Yeah welcome to the dark side! It's a great thing you started reading ebooks as you won't stop reading now! ;) Trust me I'm telling you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks, Tanja! It really is awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first e-book ! They aren't as evil as people make them seem ( : I read my first e-book on an iPod touch and when I took the step up to an e-reader I happily embraced e-books. Like you I won't be giving up my print books just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm super impressed you are reading this on your phone. I feel like that would hurt my eyes. I've had an ereader for a few years now, and it's really so so helpful when I'm traveling or commuting. But I still like to switch up with books. (In my case, I like galleys in eFormat too so I don't have to clutter my apartment or work on giving them away... my apartment is already so filled with books!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.