Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hello friends,
It is almost time for summer and if you're on the lookout for awesome beach reads, we have you covered. Just look for the "Michelle & Leslie-Approved Beach Read" stamp in the next few months!

We are featuring a novel that earned that [coveted] stamp today.
For Cricket Thompson, a summer like this one will change everything. A summer spent on Nantucket with her best friend, Jules Clayton, and the indomitable Clayton family. A summer when she’ll make the almost unattainable Jay Logan hers. A summer to surpass all dreams.
Some of this turns out to be true. Some of it doesn’t.

When Jules and her family suffer a devastating tragedy that forces the girls apart, Jules becomes a stranger whom Cricket wonders whether she ever really knew. And instead of lying on the beach working on her caramel-colored tan, Cricket is making beds and cleaning bathrooms to support herself in paradise for the summer.
But it’s the things Cricket hadn’t counted on--most of all, falling hard for someone who should be completely off-limits--that turn her dreams into an exhilarating, bittersweet reality.
A beautiful future is within her grasp, and Cricket must find the grace to embrace it. If she does, her life could be the perfect shade of Nantucket blue.
Here's a little taste of this summerific novel:
I loved being at Jules's house. It was big but not too big, buzzed with a mild, pleasant chaos, and smelled faintly like her mom's perfume. And Jules's room was my favorite. It had dark wooden floors and big windows with white, floaty curtains. It was painted a deep but calming blue. Jules called the color "Nantucket blue" because she said it was the color of the ocean on a clear day in Nantucket.

"Do you think I'll lose my virginity to Jay?" I asked, biting my lip to hide my smile, not wanting to jinx anything. Jules and I are both virgins, although she'd come very close last summer with some boarding-school guy.

"It's possible," Jules said. "But don't do it right away."

"Oh my god, no. Six-month rule," I said. Jules and I decided that six months was the perfect amount of time to got out with a guy before sex. With that kind of time, you would know you weren't being used. I lay back on the bed and started at the ceiling.

"I just thought of something bad," I said. "What if Jay turns out like his brother?" Jay has an older brother who was just like him in high school: gorgeous, popular, athletic, but he quit college, got arrested for drunk driving, and now lives at home and works at the bagel shop. "He's such a loser."

"Cricket," Jules said. "That's mean." But she was smiling. This was the thing about Jules. I could always say what I was really thinking to her and she wouldn't stop liking me. Actually, I got the feeling when I said stuff like this, stuff you can think but really shouldn't say, it made her like me more.

Nantucket Blue is out in stores and your public library now, so pick up a copy. This book is so GOOD! Read my thoughts about Nantucket Blue here. For more information, check out author Leila Howland's Tumblr and Twitter.

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Happy reading,
Michelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.