Saturday, April 13, 2013

book coverARC: 389 pages 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: April 16, 2013
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Body Finder #4
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

Violet thought she’d made peace with her unique ability to sense the echoes of the dead and the imprints that cling to their killers…that is until she acquired an imprint of her own. Forced to carry a reminder of the horrible events of her kidnapping, Violet is more determined than ever to lead a normal life. However, the people who run the special investigative team Violet works for have no intention of letting her go.

When someone close to Violet becomes a suspect in a horrific murder, she finds herself pulled into a deadly hunt for a madman with an army of devoted followers. Violet has survived dangerous situations before, but she quickly discovers that protecting those closest to her is far more difficult than protecting herself.


Michelle's Review: (Warning: Some spoilers.)
The three previous books in the Body Finder series were very enjoyable and after the ending in The Last Echo, I was so excited to read Dead Silence. It did not disappoint!

Dead Silence explored the history of Violet's ability and I liked learning more about that. It certainly answered questions I didn't even know I had. I really like the snippets from her grandmother's old diaries and getting a glimpse of her life and her connection to Violet's present. It is also evident in this book how much Violet's character grew in the series.

Like in the previous books, Derting lets us readers see through the eyes of the killer and this guy and his followers were skin-crawlingly creepy but pathetic at the same time. Whenever I'm reading the chapters seen through the killer's POV, I feel like I'm watching a gruesome Criminal Minds episode. There were some really horrifying and shocking moments that were more violent than the what the killers did in the previous books that leaves you at the edge of your seat.

Of course, amidst the creepy stuff there's the romance. I love the best-friend-turned-into-boyfriend (there's nothing more romantic in my opinion) trope so from the beginning I loved Violet and Jay together. There were some bumps in their relationship throughout the series (e.g., their big fight in Desires of the Dead, the Rafe thing, etc.). There were more Violet and Jay scenes in this book than there was in the Last Echo, which made me happy. However, I think there's still some unresolved feelings between Violet and Rafe. But despite the connection between Violet and Rafe, I think she will always choose Jay in the end--they're soul mates and both are incomplete without the other.

But oh, Rafe. I didn't want to like him in the beginning because I didn't want anyone to get between Violet and Jay but I couldn't help liking him anyway. And there was a hint that there might be something there between he and... wait for it... Chelsea! You're probably like, "What?!" Yeah, you're gonna have to read the book.

Well, I think Rafe deserves some happiness and I think the ending was open enough that the author can do a spin off series featuring Rafe.

This book and the series overall were great reading--it has a lot of stuff going for it that keeps me flipping the pages: mystery, romance, humor, psycho killers, just some good ol' fashioned drama... There's really nothing bad I can say about it. The writing is straightforward and very readable. I highly recommend the Body Finder series (you do need to read the books in order to enjoy the series) to everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! I can't wait 'til I get my hands on Dead Silence, :)

    - Diana @amalia_chartres

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.